It's All Uphill From Here: Part 3

Warning: Includes rape/implied continual sexual and physical abuse

Compared to their first year of high school, Steve had grown a lot. Thanks to Bucky wanting to participate in a local weight lifting competition over the summer but not wanting to work out alone, Steve had filled out his now six-foot-tall form and was being pressured to join the football team. He hadn't seen Natasha over the summer as often as he wanted to, but he knew she had matured a lot as well. He'd texted her a couple of times to see if she wanted to hang out, but after the third time she'd been busy with Alexei, he'd stopped.

For a while, Steve had worried their friendship was over; at the very least they'd been reduced to acquaintances. Then, one the first day of their third year of high school, Natasha had knocked on his door exactly five minutes late and given him a shy smile. Steve had barely managed to keep himself from hugging her as they walked toward the bus stop together and chatted like nothing had changed. However, the day had been disrupted when Alexei came to pick up Natasha from homeroom and walk her to class.

"See you after?" she asked, looking at Steve hopefully. He had agreed to meet Sam and Bucky after school to study, but he knew they wouldn't mind having Natasha join (if anything, they'd be more excited than him about finally meeting the famous Natasha).

"Yeah," he said. He nodded at Alexei then disappeared to let Alexei take over his old duty of walking Natasha to class.

That afternoon, he, Sam, and Bucky are holed up in his room, struggling to stay focused. Natasha still hadn't shown up even though they got home nearly an hour ago. Sam and Bucky are relentlessly teasing him when there's a soft knock on his door. They both shut up immediately and all three turn to see who enters, half expecting Ms. Rogers to walk in. Instead, Natasha pokes her head through the door and smiles shyly, something Steve hasn't seen her do since about the third grade (or that morning; but other than that, third grade).

"Sorry I'm late," she said, shutting the door behind her and joining Steve on his bed. Sam and Bucky share a smile and Steve gives him both sharp looks.

"Don't worry about it," Bucky assures her, grinning at Steve from where he's sat on the floor. "We were too busy talking to study anyway."

"Yeah, Steve here has a crush and we can't just let that slide," Sam chimes in. Steve decides right then and there he's going to kill them both the second Natasha leaves if they reveal his secret. Instead, Natasha seems immediately intrigued and joins the boys in teasing Steve.

"Aw! Do I know her?" she asks. Steve mumbles out a 'yeah' and Natasha grins wider. She throws all sorts of questions out at him: what's she like? How long has he known her? Does she share any of his crush's classes? Steve gives vague answers to all of them and is incredibly thankful when Natasha doesn't pry further. Sam and Bucky look about ready to lose their shit as they struggle not to give any more clues than Steve does.

"Shouldn't we actually do our homework?" Steve asks in a weak attempt to redirect the conversation. It doesn't work, but Steve's not surprised. Instead, he's forced to endure Bucky, Sam, and Natasha bond by teasing him. At the very least, he's glad Natasha gets along with his new friends.

* * * * *

That fall, Natasha joins Sam and Bucky at Steve's house every other day after school. She's late a lot which isn't new, but it does bother Steve a little. Something about how she's always a little more reserved when she first arrives makes him feel like something's wrong. He can't be sure if it's just because he hates she's coming from something with Alexei or if it's actually a worthwhile concern. However, after five minutes, she's teasing him just as ruthlessly as Sam and Bucky are and all is well again.