Chapter 5 ✪

Elise sat down on her swivel chair and slid herself smoothly towards her old computer. Typing down Brayden's name Google conjured up results in 0.20 seconds of an article about a fire. There was a photo of him on the screen. He was wearing a small party hat and a woman was beside him, her arms resting lightly on his shoulders. She had a big smile on her face.

"That picture was taken just on my sixth birthday" Brayden mumbled while staring at the bright screen. Meanwhile, Elise was skim reading the article next to the photo her lips moving silently as she read.

"It says that Dr Higgins went to an asylum because he was too traumatized.He doesn't sound like a maniacal man who experimented on little boys. He seems too... vulnerable."

"He's faking it. Looking weak so no suspicion falls on him!" he slammed his fist down on her desk hard, "I mean he was the one who started the fire in the first place! Some stupid freak accident." Brayden gritted out forcefully. Elise glanced at him; his cheeks were red with anger. Elise couldn't help but think that the colour on his cheeks made him look cute. She blushed immediately at the thought.

"What's the matter?" Brayden looked at her, raising his eyebrows questioningly, the anger slowly evaporating as his mood cooled down. Elise shook her head quickly and muttered a 'nothing'. She instantly changed the subject.

"Do you think we should go visit him. At the Asylum?"  she suggested, causing Brayden to throw her an alarmed look. He glanced at the article before quicly looking at her and began shaking his head.

"I'm not going to see him! Ever!" he cried. Elise had to cover his mouth at the unexpected volume. She put a finger to her lips and pointed at her door angrily. He nodded and mouthed a 'sorry' but his eyes were still alert.. Elise glanced at her door just in case someone poked their head in, wondering what on earth she was doing.

"If we visit him, we may be able to prove he was the reason for the fire." Elise attempted to persuade Brayden, "We could make him confess to doing all the experiments and how you're actually alive!"

"Those things only happen in films. I bet you got that out of a movie."

"Yeah but... that's not the point! It could really work if we just do it properly!" Elise practically whined. Brayden took a while to think it over. He stared at Elise and when she realised he was looking she displayed a pleading look, jutting her bottom lip out and emphasized her quivering. 

"Alright, we'll do it," he finally agreed slightly amused, "and I know where we can get the things".

"Why do we need 'things'?" Elise asked confusedly.

"To record his confession. I thought you're the ones with the brains here!" Brayden replied matter-of-factly.

"Bet you got that out of a film too" Elise said with her arms crossed over her chest smiling smugly.

Brayden smiled sheepishy, his cheeks burning slightly as he saw Elise's face. She brought out a notebook and began scribbling notes down in case she forgot.

"But how will we get in in the first place?" asked Brayden.

"You mean how will I get in?" corrected Elise. Brayden frowned with a 'what about me?' look. His lips pulled down in a child-like motion that almost made Elise's heart melt to ice-cream.

"You can just camouflage in, remember?" she reminded him. Brayden slapped his forehead as he remembered this; Elise rolled her eyes at the boy.

"If you were old enough then they could've just signed you in with a visitor's pass. But since you're too young you'll need an adult with you" Brayden recited, reading through the information on the asylum website. Elise sighed. Another obstacle they had to pass. Also another reason why she wished she was older!