Alone Together

This document beta'd by kylekatarn77

5. Alone Together

Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the powers they are graced with.

-Tony Stark

"Midoriya, Bakugo, I have to say, I'm immensely proud of both of you!" their teacher said, patting each of them on the shoulder. It was the last day of school, and Izuku was cringing at the sudden attention. For a moment, he thought Bakugo would erupt with anger, but instead the other boy just gave him a knowing smirk.

"Well, we both might have gotten into UA, but only one of us qualified for the Hero Course," Bakugo stated. "Deku's with all the other extras in the support course."

"Yes! But to make it in on recommendations alone! I had no idea you were such a talented inventor, Midoriya! It must have been all those things you learned during your years here," their teacher bragged.

Instead of correcting the teacher that it was Mei who helped him, Izuku just looked down, tapping his fingers together and blushing. Again, he expected Bakugo to lash out, being reminded that he'd had to work for his placement at UA while Izuku had simply been given a place, but Bakugo just laughed.

"Ha! I got the highest score of the entire year! I bet Deku just showed them something lame he'd cobbled together. At least you've figured out your place, nerd. Maybe if you work hard enough, I'll even let you make some of my gear!"

That got Izuku to look up, startled. "I would be honored to help someone as strong as you, Kacchan."

"Don't call me that," Bakugo hissed, for the first time showing his usual irritability. "From now on, you address me as Bakugou. I won't be associated with a damn extra like you, understand?"

"Now, now, boys, I'm sure you'll both do great things at UA. It's not every day we get to send two of our students to the top school in the country. And from my own homeroom class as well!" their teacher said, puffing himself up. "Make sure to remember me, when you both become famous."

"Pff. Sure," Bakugo said, turning to go. "It will remind me how great I've become, to remember what worthless trash I left behind!"

Their teacher seemed mortified at that, but Izuku bowed quickly to him. "Thank you very much, sir! I'll be sure to think about the things you've taught me as I attend UA!"

"Well, ahem, see that you do," the teacher ordered, looking mollified.

Izuku left, and for a moment, he almost called out to Bakugo. But then his hands formed into fists, and he glared after Bakugo, who continued to walk away, unconcerned about what was behind him.

"One day, one day you'll recognize me as a fellow hero, Kacchan!" Izuku whispered. "Because now, I have a friend who believes in me! I'll surpass even you, and become the most amazing hero the world has ever seen! The world's first and greatest quirkless hero!"

Mei, true to form, was already working when Izuku got to her workshop. "Izuku! Quick, come over here, I want to test these new smoke bombs!"

"No, wait, don't-" but it was too late. Mei detonated the smoke bomb inside of her own room, which of course set off the fire alarm, and caused the entire shop to have to be evacuated. A panicked customer called the fire department, even though there was no actual fire.

"Just...just go for a few hours, Mei," her mother said, shaking her head wearily. "This was your last day of Junior High! There was supposed to be a celebration! But now...we'll have to spend a long time cleaning up this mess."