Another Shot, Chapter 7

Rose arrived three days later, and I met her at the Academy's airstrip. I didn't have our daughter with me since she was in class.
"Welcome home, Milaya." I grinned when she stepped off the jet.
"Hey, Comrade!" The miracle mother carefully bounded into my arms.
"Hi, miracle Mom." I pulled her into kiss before she could respond.
"God, I love you, Dimitri. So much it bloody hurts."
"I know that feeling, lyubov moya."
"Our daughter is still clueless?"
"Completely. As are you, Roza."
"Speak for yourself, Comrade." She pecked my cheek before I carefully returned her to solid ground.
"My room? Or yours? After we check in with Alberta."
"Yours, Comrade." She really was clueless what that nickname did to me.
"Come on, Mommy." I wrapped an arm around her waist as I led her back to campus.
"Let's go, Daddy. God, I love being able to say that to your face."
"I'm still adjusting to it. But constantly hearing it from Stasiya is helping it sink in. I can't believe she was hidden from me for years, and revealed in seconds."
"I can't believe it took you that long to change your mind."
"I guess I thought I'd never see you. Or, if I did, that you'd avoid me like the plague."
"You really don't understand my feelings for you at all, do you?"
"Hmm. I guess I don't."

I opened the door to Alberta's office.
"Rose? I thought you were on mission?"
"I'm 'stripped' of my title and job for a year."
"Then why are you here?" Alberta was highly curious.
"Because... Well... I may or may not be expecting Belikov baby number two." A grin split my woman's face, and a small smile broke through Alberta's mask.
"Really, you two? Another?"
"Not our fault our miracle children are so badass!" Rose retorted. "We didn't plan either."
"So worth it though, Roza. So worth it. I love you, and I'm glad we've got mini us's. I always knew you'd make a great mother. I actually spent a few nights crying over not being able to give you the family you deserved." I sheepishly admitted the last bit.
"You're not the only one who cried over not being able to give the other a family. Although... I must admit, after realising I wasn't ready, I didn't think I'd ever be. And then, after Spokane, I realised that you were my family- much more so than Liss, at the time. I learned, as long as I had you, I'd be fine. Even though I felt guilty about taking that away from you when you-"

I'd heard enough of her guilt speech and suspected the darkness was playing a role.

"Oh, shut up, Roza!" I playfully chastised, then kissed her before she could respond.
"Guys! I don't need to see this. And I can't un-hear that." Alberta interrupted us and reminded us a world existed. "I don't understand how you two are your generation's most lethal guardians. It just doesn't make sense when you forget about the world because the other exists. I still don't get how you two ever managed any pretence of professional."
"Simple," Rose responded. "We had to. If only for the fact we were meant to both be Lissa's guardians." The next part was muttered bitterly. "Not that that ever happened. She was meant to have us both- already did in a sense- but ended up with neither." My beauty sighed to regain her composure then continue on. "The whole mentorship thing went down the drain pretty damn early. We only ever cared about that because society did, because the Moroi wouldn't have thought about the guarding issues- it isn't really in their way of thinking. They would worry about student-teacher, and age, the most. We're very lucky Tatiana wanted to focus on the spirit related conception and the possibility of how dangerous Stasiya would become."
"Yes, you are very lucky." Alberta let out a full smile. "Belikov, I knew right from Portland you would struggle to keep a straight face around Rose. After all, she made you hesitate slash freeze twice in ten minutes. Then the third time in Kirova's office- and that was when didn't know her."

That stunned me, even though it really shouldn't have. My Roza had made me forget the world- and the passing of time- when I was surrounded by another dozen guardians. She'd caused the first two freezes of my career, in front of a crowd. That woman really had no clue what she did to me.

"Really, Petrov? Was it that obvious?"
"Yes. It really was."

After half an hour of reflecting, I left that office with my miracle babies' mother snuggling into my side. "It's good to have you back, Roza." I commented as we headed off to my dorm.
"It's good to be back!" she grinned. "Even though it's because someone made me pregnant- again." she teased playfully.
"Hey!" I returned the banter. "I'm not the spirit altered one in this relationship."
"Screw you and your normal logic!" she retorted and continued the banter.
"You've done that, my love. Multiple times." I pecked her cheek.
"Ew! Get a room, you two!" rudely interrupted Alto as we entered Guardian dorms.
"Where do you think we're headed?" Roza snapped back. I wasn't surprised she still hated him, given he was still an asshole to her.
"Roza, love, you need to calm down. Please." I looked lovingly into her eyes as I pleaded with her.
"You're clueless, Comrade. You're completely clueless." She sighed as the tension left her.
"So are you, Roza. So. Are. You. My love."
"How are you two ever professional? And no one really needs to see you two forget the world."
"No one said you had to watch. And we're not, not really. It's kinda impossible when you're parents."
"I still can't believe that Hathaway."
"She's nearly six, Stan. And there's another on the way. Meaning this face is on campus for a year. After all, this is where my family is."
"Mmm. I love hearing that from you, Roza. I'm glad to have been able to give you your own family. Our family."
"Oh Dimitri; in giving me Stasiya, you gave me the world. I'd thought you were enough, but I was wrong. And having us all together is the best thing yet."
"Until we're all together with Bubby two in our arms?"
"Exactly." My soulmate reached up and kissed my cheek.
"Guys! This is hurl worthy. I'm out of here." Alto interrupted then beelined for the door.

We took two steps before Emil called: "Did I hear right? Are you two really expecting a second badass baby?"
"Yes Emil." I smiled and spoke proudly. "We are."
"Un-believable!" the guardian laughed. "And really kinda scary. One purebred that comes from you two is unfair. Two with your combined genes?" He shook his head. "Scary. Anastasiya is dangerous enough. She's adorable and all... But she's already someone her classmates don't mess with."
"Yes, she is." I agreed. "Not even I'm game to. Like her mother, her looks and attitude will be weapons of their own." Ugh. I wasn't looking forward to the drooling guys, who'd be lining up for miles. Her looks would be one thing the guys were after... Her lineage, her purebred state, would be another draw card. Oh well. That was ten years in the future. Or so I desperately hoped.

It took long enough to get to my room, because we had guardian, after guardian stop to ask questions and congratulate us. It took so long, in fact, that we'd barely sat down when we had to turn around and walk to the lower elementary campus to collect our daughter.