Chapter 1: The Meeting

Start from the beginning

"No, Ma'am," Delilah responded.

"You were at One Columbus Place at this time, correct?"

"Yes," she responded, remembering everything all too well.

"Why are you telling me this?" Delilah asked out of pure curiosity. Chief Vincent smiled slightly.

"Mostly because I am required to tell you. However, two of the brothers- Raphael and Michelangelo- are in a similar situation. The NYPD was wondering if you would like to meet them, so you all can get support from each other?"

Delilah thought. She held Freddie closer to her chest. He licked her chin, then settled his head into the nape of her neck.

"In a few days. I need some time for myself... To process..." She whispered. Chief Vincent nodded and added that to her written notes.

"I completely understand. You can either give me a call or come to the station and ask for me when you're ready, okay?" Chief Vincent took out a sticky note and wrote on it. "There is my number so you can call me directly if you wish." Delilah paused, then took the sticky note. "Does that sound okay?"

"Yeah... It does."

"Okay."

♦️♦️♦️

"Is this shop yours?" Cheif Vincent asked, looking around after she packed up her belongings.

"I guess so. It's still under my parents' names, but I'm going to change it soon. I think they signed the ownership documents to go automatically under my name when they retire or die, but I'm going to go to city hall to make sure," Delilah responded. She was playing with Freddie and his favorite feather toy.

"Right," Chief Vincent responded. "How long has it been in the family?"

"We started it when I was five. Marquis was two, and Leslie wasn't even an idea yet. My parents started it after my mom had a miscarriage with a girl. They were going to name her Lily, so a reason why they called it 'Abraco'- it means hugs in Portuguese. They are both... Were both, Portuguese." Chief Vincent smiled.

"How long have you been a part of it?"

"Since we started. I would greet people and entertain people in line or at tables. I was a talker. I also would have a taste of the mistakes, which I always thought was heaven," Delilah smiled.

"Lovely," Chief Vincent said.

"Is it too late to make an order?" Delilah stood up from her seat and set the feather toy underneath a napkin holder for Freddie. She quickly washed up and stood behind the register.

"How can I help you, Chief Vincent, at this lovely, late-night hour?"

"Late night? What time is it?"

"11:14, or 22:14," Delilah responded. Chief Vincent smiled.

"I'll take... a black herbal tea with thyme lemon shortbread?"

"Coming right up."

♦️♦️♦️

"No. I'm not doing it," Raph scoffed. "I don't need some chick with daddy issues coming into our lives and changing everything."

"Hey, she's a good person. Our age, too. She's 18, and she's been through exactly what you have. She was at Columbus Place when the Foot bombed it," Casey explained.