c h a p t e r • 11

Start from the beginning

I'm running way too much.

"Oh my...I can't believe this." She cries.

My mom has always been an emotional person. I don't blame her for it though. I mean, I inherited it but I don't like to cry in front of people.

"Kylan, come here." She says and they hug.

"Mom, I told you not to call me that." He says.

"Would you prefer I call you an asshole, then?" My mom asks sarcastically which made me laugh.

"No, not really." Kyle mutters and pulls away.

"Come here, Damie." Mom says and dad walks in with a smile, kissing her on the forehead.

I smiled at their actions.

They have a type of love that many would wish for. That I could've had with Ryder...or Caleb.

-•-

I finish explaining everything to my family.

"So, let me get this straight. Your dead ex-boyfriend who you thought wasn't actually dead turns out to be dead, and has a twin that you never heard of, some lunatic guy wanted to kidnap you for dad's money and what else am I missing?" Kyle asks.

"The fire Oggy was in was planned." I added and he nodded.

"I'm starting to think your life isn't so normal." Kyle comments and I gave him a blank look.

"Yeah, no sh-" I stopped myself before my mom heard. "-itake mushrooms."

I chuckled nervously.

"My girl has really got issues." Mom chuckled.

"I think I have something else to add onto that." Dad says after being quite the whole time.

"What?" I ask.

"We went to high school with Ryan Kanes." He says and my jaw dropped. So did Kyle's.

"Better pick up that jaw because that's not all." He says.

"Tell us more." Kyle says.

"You know what, maybe we should let your mom rest. She must be worn out." Dad says.

"I'm fine, dear. Tell them. I think they should know." Mom says.

Dad sighs and we gave all our attention to him.

"It's your story. I think it would be better if you told them." Dad says and we focus on mom.

"Well, I was about 15, 16, when we started dating. He was nice at first but he slowly became manipulative and toxic. I ignored the signs and warnings, of course. I was a virgin during this time. He wanted to take that away from me but I wasn't so sure about it." She pauses. "He tried to rape me after he killed my father. I didn't know why he would do that and I tried to forgive him. You know, forgive and forget. But even if my mind believes that, my heart doesn't. Reporting him to the cops didn't work because he was too powerful. About 1 and a half year later, he comes back. He wanted me back but your dad already had me even if we weren't official."

Mom smiles at dad who pats her hair.

"He made me cheat on your dad at a party. I got drunk and he had taken advantage of me. It broke your dad and I but don't worry, 4 years later we reunited and somehow got married." Mom chuckles.

"Damn, mom. I had no idea your life was interesting. Dad always said you were the perfect good girl and I thought your life was boring." Kyle says.

"That's not even half the story, son." Dad chuckles and stands up.

"Now, let your mom get some rest and the both of you should get some rest, too." Dad says.

"Okay but I'm gonna need a story time later mom." I say.

"Me too." Kyle says.

"Okay, okay." Mom laughs. "Now, shoo."

We wave at her and dad before leaving the room.

"Hey." Kyle stops me as I'm about to walk to my room.

"What?" I ask.

"What's up with you and Ryder? You guys have been acting weird for the past like two weeks." He says.

"Nothing." I lie. "We're just getting used to not being a thing, I guess."

"Did you two even talk?" He ask.

"Barely but it'll get better." I say.

"You sure?" He asks and I nod.

"I'm gonna unpack so, I'll go up to my room." I say and he nods before I left.

I walk into my surprisingly clean room.

It's definitely not gonna stay that way for the one week I'm here.

I plopped on my bed and sighed.

On my bedside there was a book. Probably the only book that I bought willingly.

It's about the law of attraction. It helped me a lot when I was getting rid of my habits.

I took the book and started reading it again.

-•-

A/n: it's short but yeah, I need to write these not really important parts to get to the really important part.