Chapter 3

Alexis Nunez
Relationships are a funny thing. You'd think since I didn't have my parents around most of my life that I would know the feeling of void. But the feeling of being cheated on is something new, it's hitting now. The fact that I am emotionally alone, that my heart is broken beyond repair. And I don't know how to fix it but I know how to fill the void. And how to move on.

This morning we had practice in the gym, I got ready picking out nike pros and our practice sports bra. I put on socks and slides packing my cheer bag. "I have practice Dani I'll be back after!" "Okay!" I heard as I walked out the house. "Alexis, Tina!" "Yeah." "Pick three stunt sequences for elites." "Yes ma'am." We planned out a sequence different than last year. "It's perfect!" Tina beamed as we did the work on the floor. "Hey can we run this?" I asked my bases, they all agreed and coach liked it. After practice I threw on a Beverly hoodie changing my shoes back. Olivia wanted to go the the spot and I obliged.

"Wait Jordan ended practice?" "Yup the vibe on the field between him and your pops is bananas. Obviously coach is going Easy in him because he feels guilt." "And Jordan is testing the boundaries, seeing how far he can get away with things." I spoke. "Surprise surprise." "And the more he allows Jordan to question his authority the more everyone else will do the same." "That won't make a good team." "Exactly our team is as good as done." "Great another reason pushing you towards south Crenshaw." "I ain't exactly feeling them either." "Why?" "Oh yeah cause of Darnell." "Who?" "Are you ready to talk to your dad yet?" They are really ignoring me. "Thanks for information Spence." "Oh we leaving? Bye Spence." I gave him a side hug following Liv out. "What do you think about tinder?" "Tinder?" "Yeah." "For you? Out of a serious relationship?" "If you're brother Can have sex then why can't I?" "I mean do what you want but be careful, please." "Of course." "I gotta go deal with stuff at home text me if you go out." "Yes." I nodded getting in my car.

The next morning, I got ready for school. Today I decided to treat myself by getting an iced latte from café. When I pulled into school I walked to my locker seeing Spencer and Leila talking at his. I'm glad they're working things out, last I heard she was mad at him and didn't want to talk about her dad. I grabbed my books trading them out putting others in my locker. I saw Jordan walk in with a girl, I rolled my eyes focusing back on my locker putting in my AirPods. When the bell rang I went in class, Leila was walking out as I walked in. Spencer was turned around buttoning his shirt. "So slick aren't you compa." "Shoot, I told her to stop." "She has a mind of her own, huh." "So you coming to Crenshaw with me after school?" "Yes sir I'll meet you at my car." I smiled.

The school day went on like it usually does, class slow and breaks fast. At lunch Olivia and I went to the cafe getting paninis and coffee. Then fourth period rolled around, surprisingly as a junior I have little to no homework. After school I meet Spencer at his locker while he said bye to Leila. "Bye." "Have fun." He played his music through the speakers as I drove us to his moms house. He doesn't trust my car sitting in a parking lot and rather it be at the house. We walked to this little restaurant type of place where Patience and Coop were.

"Beverly brat." "Stop." I laughed hugging the two. "Haven't seen your fine ass in a minute." "I know been hiding out." "Hows your boyfriend?" Patience asked. "Broken up before it even started." "What'd he do?" "Cheated." "Damn, let me find you a cutie real quick." Coop showed us a video of her freestyle battle rapping, well her telling a boy off. "You're girl is a viral legend." "I don't know if two hundred considers you a viral legend." "Whatever I take this kind of love over being a snitch any day." "Facts." "You tell Spence how you doing off the dome?" I watched the conversation bounce between two. "You guys want refills?" "Yeah I'll come with." I told her getting up. When we got back to the table Spencer looked at me. "Can we make a stop before we go back?" "Course."

We walked a couple blocks down to a house. "You know Spencer, I get that cars get broken into out here but my legs are small." He chuckled, "We here." He knocked on the door and a cute brown skin opened the door. In my head all I could think was damn this man is fine as fuck. "My pops home?" "Nah he stepped out for a little. But you can wait in here if you want." "No I'm good. You leaving?" Spencer demeanor changed, his voice became almost sensitive. "Yeah well look man the only reason I came out here was to play ball with Corey." I felt very awkward watching the interaction between them. "The last thing I wanted to do was drag you apart." The boy I assumed was Darnell said since I don't know him but everyone talks about a Darnell our age. "I'm catching a bus back to Nevada tomorrow. What you ain't got nothing to say, cause this is what you wanted isn't it." "Petty." I mumbled. The tall boy turned walking further in the house and Spencer closed the door. "Are you going to tell me who he is?" "That's my dads ex's son, he raised him for seven years leaving me and Dillion." "I'm sorry, I get it, but you don't have to put your feels towards your dad on him. For all you know he's someone just like you." "Funny Coop said something similar." We walked back to his moms house driving home, I dropped him off at the Bakers.

The next day the weekend began, I was doing research when Spencer texted me asking for a ride and I said yes. I would do anything for that guy. I got dressed in a tube top and jeans throwing on sneakers. I grabbed the first keys I saw which were the Range Rover. I stopped at the Bakers getting Spencer before driving to Crenshaw. "You love taking me on these adventures don't you." He shook his head as I pulled up to his dads house. I stayed in the car while he talked to his dad. When he came back he sighed looking at me with pleading eyes. "Where to next?" "The field, south Crenshaw." "Okay give me directions." I told him fastening my seat belt. "You know I never asked how you are." "I'm good Spencer, everyone asks. I just want to move on." I told him truthfully. I locked the car as we suck in the field. "You're a cheerleader whose never jumped a fence." "Yes leave me alone." He chuckled as I squeezed myself through the opening.

"I figured you'd be here first. I did the same thing before I enrolled in Beverly." "Least you got a chance to play I was just getting warmed up." I stood off to the side looking around. "Hey look bro I wasn't trying to mess up y'all's life, you gotta understand that. You're pops man he changed the game for me. Not having a father in for the first nine years of my life forces me to grow up." As I listened I noticed that their stories were similar timing maybe different but Corey played a big role in their lives and careers. "Look man your home is clearly with Corey, which makes Crenshaw your home now too. You should stay." "Wait are you sure?" "My beef ain't with you." Spencer started walking off. "So are you his puppy or somethin." "Do I look like a dog to you?" "An attitude." He smirked. "Look I got to go with him, but I'll see you soon." "Alright." I met with Spencer at the car I dropped him off at the battle rap Coop was performing at. "You sure you don't wanna come?" "Yeah I'm good have fun though." "I'll see you." "Yeah." I smiled driving home.

The rest of the weekend I spent doing homework or watching over cheer routines in our division. "Lex,
Lets make food." Dani called. We made enchilas together watching crime documentaries. "So any picks off tinder?" "Not yet but there's this cute boy in Crenshaw." "Crenshaw? How do you know him?" "Spencer." I shrugged pouring salsa over the top. "You're crazy." "I'm moving on, Jordan has so why can't I. I don't need to be the heart broker girl." She nodded putting the food in the oven. "How's Sam?" "Good, he starts a new job this week." "That's good, tight?" "Yeah, he's getting closer to town." "So you'll see him more often." "Yup, and we can all watch movies and tv." "The third wheeling I love todo." I laughed. When the food was done we ate on the couch watching the movie. Then we went to up to our rooms getting ready for bed.

Season 2, episode 3