TanKana Week 2020

Day 1: Eye contact

It's here! It's finally here!

Welcome everyone to my contribution for TanKana Week 2020, I hope you enjoy and don't forget to check out the tumblr and twitter for more TanKana content!

For those that don't know, the TanKana week will have seven different themes for each day, for the first day the theme is 'Eye contact/White Spined butterfly (freshness and prosperity)'.

So, without further ado, on with the first day!

Disclaimer: I don't own KnY.

----------------------------------------------

'Hmm... I wonder what's wrong...' Tanjiro thought as he walked along the Butterfly State after finishing his latest mission.

He had found something strange happening every time he visited after finishing the Recovery Training.

Kamado Tanjiro is someone that always looks people in the eye when talking to them; this habit was instilled on him at a young age as the polite thing to do, no matter if it's a friend or a stranger, unless you are doing something that doesn't allow you to, always try to look them in the eye.

He did wonder for a while why he should do that but, in the end, he didn't really mind, he likes looking at people in the eye when speaking to them.

In the red haired fifteen year old's humble opinion, looking at someone in the eye shows that you are paying attention to what they are saying so he has always made sure to look at the people he talks to in the eye and, for the most part, the people he talks to do the same; the few exceptions are people that are working and can't afford to get their eyes off their task or, in some cases, people that try to look away when he speaks to them.

The latter case has been happening constantly to him lately because of a certain girl.

Tsuyuri Kanao.

Back when they first met Tanjiro can't say she made too big of an impression on him, the only reason he remembered her being in Mount Fujikasane back when he passed the Final Selection is because of the incredibly low number of people that managed to pass and the fact that she looked like she had taken a stroll through the mountain instead of battling demons for seven days; while the last part did stick to his mind more, he was too tired to actually think too much on it and between the relief of seeing Nezuko up, recovering in Mount Sagiri and then getting his first assignment, he simply forgot about her until he saw her again in the Butterfly State after his encounter with Lower Moon Five and the Pillar meeting where they decided his and Nezuko's fate.

Back then, things were fine, while he lost a lot against her during the Recovery Training, he eventually got stronger and able to at least keep up with her and he made sure to look her in the eye when speaking to her, even though she never really answered until he went to say goodbye to her.

But even when she spoke to him, he felt something was off, she did look at him but it was as if she wasn't really looking at him, just in his general direction and he happened to be in the middle.

While Tanjiro did feel something change when he gave her back her coin after telling her to follow her heart, he couldn't quite place it and he didn't have time to stay and find out. The Kamado thought he could talk to her next time he is near the Butterfly State and see how she's doing but, every time he tries, she seems to try and look anywhere but in his general direction.

He passed it off as her being busy at the time or doing something else, like the time he found her blowing bubbles and asked if he could stay and watch, she had nodded and continued to do her thing.