Chapter | Three

dedicated to _dxydrxmer & harmonyrules for asking me to finish this - here you are, hope it is what you wanted ;) !

     I followed the young man to the pond, there was no one around despite how nice of a summer morning it was. Regulus seemed fidgety, as if he was as nervous as I. 

     "You can't hang around me," He spat out, taking me off guard. "You need to stay away."

     "Then why did you come to me?" I spat back, our anger matching each others. I couldn't imagine how we'd tolerated each other when we were little, it seemed we are always at each other's throats. "Why not ignore me and disappear like you did before."

     "I wasn't aware that you'd come back," He shrugged, glaring at me. Despite my sudden realization that I'd known him before, Regulus seemed rather aware of it. "It was an accident that we ran into each other; it won't happen again."

     I wasn't sure if I should feel offended or not. His stance was pompous and cold, but even then, there was a familiarity in his eyes that made me want to know more about this Regulus Black. "Then, what are we doing here?" I motioned between the both of us, "What do you want?"

     He seemed taken aback by this, unsure of how to respond at first. But, after a small pause, he sighed and lifted a gloved hand towards the back of his neck, scratching absent mindedly. "I don't quite know, actually," His voice trailed off, eyes glazing over as if he was thinking over something that had happened some time ago, or may happen in the future; then, he was back again, like a snap of a rubber band. "Right, I am only here to warn you. You don't want to be around me, Muggle." 

     Regulus straightened his jacket and the familiar, stern eye of pompousness encased him once more. "I cannot promise your safety if you don't stay away."

     "We were friends before, right?" I mused, crossing my arms over my chest as I leaned cooly against a thick tree, putting on a false sense of confidence. "So, what says that we can't be friends again?"

     His jaw tightened as he took an aggravated step towards me, steel eyes blazing with a dark fire, "Look, why don't you be a good little boy, and stay the hell away?" 

     The phrase was voiced as a question, but I could tell by his stance that he had meant it as a set in stone command. Regulus then adjusted his coat sleeves and opened his mouth to say something when a shrill voice called out a small distance from us, causing his already pale face to sink into a sickly white hue.

     "Where has 'ittle Reggie gone?" The sickly sweet female voice called out and Regulus reached out to me, grasping me firmly by my jumper collar and thrusting me behind the thick oak tree I had been leaning against as the voice drew closer, singing out once more, "Gone to meet up with fickle, blood traitor brothers?" The woman's voice hissed at the end, turning venomous. 

     Regulus shoved me tightly against the bark and pressed a finger to his lips, motioning solemnly for me not to make a sound, eyes wide with what I was surprised to detect as fear. "Don't utter a single word," He whispered, voice so low I could barely make out the words, "If you do, I'll kill you myself."

     My heart picked up speed at those words; I was so taken aback that I could hardly manage to feel the familiar fingers of anger boil up inside of me. This 'old friend' of mine had me scared, pinned tightly on the back side of a tree, my only protection.

          He bore his steel eyes into mine, glaring, "And, when you feel that we are gone, go home."

     I clamped my lips tightly together, daring to only take a shallow breath when my brain cried out in pain, desperately trying to keep myself hidden as Regulus walked away from my spot, towards the woman in the street.