38. Through Thick And Thin

Start from the beginning

...........

I was working late again. We had to prepare order of a customized cake for an anniversary party and Liam had to leave early because her sister Jenna was in town. He took Rachel with him to hang out with her sister and now, I was alone in the bakery.

After the delivery man took the order, I decided to clean the bakery a little. I was in the middle of wiping the tables when I heard the door open. I turned towards the door and found the landlord Tank standing there with a scowl on his face. "You're late again. Where is the rent?"

"I.. Um.. I was actually just thinking about it. Don't worry. I'll give it to you by the end of this week. We have a big order coming up." I said in the most convincing tone possible.

He walked inside with an irritated look at his face. I gulped nervously as he made his way to the counter and picked up my untouched glass of juice to drink it without my permission. I balled my fists, trying to control my anger. "Excuses, excuses. If you can't afford it, why can't you get the fuck out?"

"I... I told you. Just give me this week." I said in a firm voice.

"And I told you earlier. If you repeated the delay again, I would practically drag you out." he grunted loudly and slowly made his way to me.

"Tank, there is no need to be disrespectful." I glared at him. This was no way to behave with someone when I have been nothing but respectful to him.

"Oh, shut up, you fucking---"

"You shut up, you... You... You rude man." I tried to find an appropriate insult but failed.

"Oh, so the kitten has a tongue. Well, say it from outside the shop." he said and attempted to grip my hand when a voice echoed, followed by the sound of door opening.

"I don't know who you are but if you touch my wife, I'll kill you with my bare hands." The familiar voice said. I gaped at the door as Evan stepped through it and made his way to us with a deadly glare on his face.

"Oh, so you're this girl's husband. Listen man, tell your wife to pay her rent." His tone softened a little because Evan was pretty intimidating, with his tall built and crisp black suit. Tank was a sexist who always used a better tone with men. "Otherwise, next time, she won't walk out of this place on her own."

"There won't be any next time." Evan said and my eyes widened in confusion. "My secretary will send you your money and then you can shove this place up your ass."

"What?" Both Tank and I said in unison.

He cast a glance at me that said that it would be better for me to shut up right now. He then glared dangerously at Tank who in return scowled at him and then walked past us out of the bakery. After he left, Evan turned towards me and said, "Why didn't you tell me you were having money problems?"

"Well, it wasn't part of the deal." I said, remembering how I refused to use his money for my own benefits. "And this was not something that affects your reputation so I couldn't use your money for it."

This seemed to tick him off and he took a step towards me. I tried to back away but he quickly moved forwards and pulled me towards him with an arm around my waist. "This marriage is just a deal?" he whispered and I struggled to stop losing myself in the whirlpool of his blue eyes.

"Um... I... You..."

He inclined his head so his lips were hovering over me. "Tell me. Did nothing change in these last few days?" he whispered again and my eyes closed at his closeness.

I gulped and rested my hands on his shoulder to support myself. In an instant, his lips met mine and my lungs stopped working. His lips were demanding while mine were submissive, the perfect combination for a perfect kiss. Our mouths moulded together, tugging, sucking, wanting more. Before finishing the kiss, he bit gently on my lower lip and a small frustrated groan made it's way through my throat. The kiss was brief but hot enough to make me feel dizzy because all the blood rushed to other places.

When he pulled his face away, his pupils were dialed and I was sure so were mine. "I'll ask Gabe to help you find the new place for your bakery." he said as he brushed my lower lip with his thumb.

"But I don't...."

"Ssshhh," he placed his finger on my lips. "Don't worry about money. Just buy the best damn place and all the best appliances you need. Understand?" he said, staring at my lips. "And I don't like to hear no."

"Okay." I whispered slowly.

"Good girl." he winked at me and I flushed red at his actions.

___________________________

Okay, a bad news.
I'm in my final year of med school and here, we have a 15 days rotation in obs/gynae wards once a year. During these 15 days, we are supposed to be in wards from morning till midnight, no weekends off. And this rotation is starting this Thursday so I might lag in updating during these 15 days.