LIII

Sitting in the middle of my family and Edward's family, I witness as they all drift to sleep on the couches in the living room. I haven't tried to sleep nor do I plan too. My mind was a hawk for ways that Oliver has to take to escape. I was happy, happy Edward kept his promise and now it was time I have another sleepless night waiting for Oliver.

My eyes shift to a tiny moving body of Lucas as he wakes up from mother's embrace and walks over to me. "Elizabeth. Haven't you slept?.." he whispers, yawing ever so adorably. I smile as I carry him on my lap, "nope, I'm waiting for Edward to come back, little one" I say. He stays quite in my embrace for a bit before he speaks words that worried me, "Elizabeth, will Oliver be back?". It was a question I didn't know how to answer, it was a question I haven't allowed to reach my mind yet, it's a question that took over my heart the moment Oliver left. "I-I believe so.." I whisper to Lucas as I caress his soft hair.

With that I hear the door open up with the archbishop, the colonel coming around and the other soldiers helping Edward walk. I stand up immediately, and so did all the souls that were sleeping in the room. "Edward" my breath hitches at the sight of him, I run up to him and I hold him up. "Oh god Edward, what happened.." I try to speak through heavy breathes. I see Edward's mother rush up to him and hug him tightly, tears flooding out of her beautiful eyes and so did his father joint and soon all of them. I was there, holding him up, I always promised him to help him through everything and this was the least I have done.

Edward stays with everyone else for a while as I was escorted out to speak to the colonel. "Its a lot your highness. The dead have risen in amount." He speaks, strength in his voice. "And it's still is.. right?" I ask slowly, hoping for a yes, hoping for a yes to save one specific life. To save their king, Oliver. If he were to be dead, none will die. And if not, the war continues. "So? What is it colonel?" I question after his long quiet speech. "Im sorry your highness. The rest of the soldiers will back tomorrow" he says before walking away with the rest of his soldiers. Leaving me hanging with a dead heart. I couldn't believe it, I denied it for a proper minute before his words came hitting me like a truck.

He was gone.
Oliver was gone.

I break down and I fall into the Cushioned floor, I cry loud and clear, pain in me, fire in me. I immediately felt the embrace of the one whom survived.

Edward's pov

I leave my parents after a while and I try to walk to see Elizabeth. I overheard their conversation, the truth. I felt my heart crush like a small piece of paper. And his last words run back to my mind. I witness as Elizabeth falls down to the ground and I immediately try to rush to her. I grab her, closely, tightly. Hoping to take her pain away, but her cries were like a banshee, a call for revenge, a cry of agony.

"Shh" I try to calm her down but it just kept getting worse. Her cries broke me apart, she truly loved him, she truly believed. Everyone soon gathers around and Elizabeth starts to suffocate, unable to intake any toxic air in her. I lay her down immediately and order them to grab a medic. I see as Caroline runs to call for a medic as Mrs.conner runs to grab cold water to save her own daughters life.

I lay Elizabeth down and I try to comfort her, lead her to catch her breath again. "Elizabeth. Elizabeth. Stay with me" I speak, as I start to give her CPR. Her mother came and kept washing her face with cold water, to shock her and allow her to regain control over her breathing. "Elizabeth. Darling. No please- no please I beg you. I can't lose you. Not you. It's not you whom is to give up" mrs Conner sobs as she holds Elizabeth's face into her shaking hands.

I kept pushing harder, hoping to end this cramp of pain that fills this house. Soon the medic arrived and revived her breathing back to normal. I sat down and sighed, bringing my rested arms on my bent knees to cover my face in despair. "She's going to be fine Mrs.Conner. Don't worry, you both saved her" the medic said looking at I and mrs Conner before completing, "We will take her to her room for now. No one enters for an hour the least. Allow her highness to rest".

"In the meantime, let me check that leg of yours" he says pointing at my injured leg. I look over as they carry Elizabeth away and I nod slowly. When he helps me to stand up I look at a devastated statue of Mrs.Caroline. "Mrs.Caroline.." I try to say as Adeline holds her body up. "No- no I'm fine." She speaks, eyes stuck to the place the news were delivered. "Ma'am, If you don't mind I'll have someone to accompany you and Elizabeth. This is a hard time for you two especially, you may experience severe attacks like the one Elizabeth just had" the doctor speaks as Mrs.Caroline just nods to words that were never really heard to her.

I see as Adeline takes her to her room and I nod to mother to head over with her. The medic examines me in the living room before the archbishop speaks to me privately. "Sir Edward. The night before King Oliver left us, he ordered me to do something if he were to leave us." He speaks slowly before he completes, "he ought you to be the next king.". I hang my head down low, "I know.. he told me before he ordered me to escape". The archbishop sighs before questioning me, "and so will you sir Edward?".

I look up at him and I reply after a quite while, "no. I don't think I can. Nor do I think Elizabeth would agree". I see as the archbishop gathers his papers and before he stood up he said, "please rethink your answer sir Edward, we can't risk giving back the crown to Oliver's father, prince Quill, after what he did".

I watch him as his white figure disappears and I all I could think of was the position I was thrown at. Not wanting to be a king or not, but the position I'll have to face telling Elizabeth about this contract Oliver made.