"Go wash your face," she prompted.

I nodded and quickly left their bedroom. I didn't have the guts to look at Dad. Was he disappointed in me? Was he mad that I hadn't told him I had a boyfriend? With the amount that I had withheld from them, I wouldn't trust myself anymore. Maybe they would ground me or something. It's not like I had friends. I didn't go out to begin with.

I sighed.

How had it turned out like this?

* * *

Alexander stared at the projector in a daze. The board members' conversations were just a buzz around him. The only thing he could focus on was the betrayal he'd seen in Rin's eyes.

The thorn in his chest dug deeper.

"Let's take a break," he said and stood.

Before anyone could speak, he walked out, hands in his pockets. As he walked down the hallway, he checked his phone. There were hundred of Social Media notifications but not one of them belonged to Rin.

He had called her . . . many times and now her voice mail was full. No messages from her either. If only she had let him explain. He wasn't married to Cassidy, not in that sense. It was just a title not an actual partnership. Like he'd ever choose Cassidy over Rin. 

"Going somewhere?"

Alexander came to a stop. He didn't need to turn around to figure out who had spoken.

"Just taking a break, Father."

"Strange since the meeting only started five minutes ago."

Neither of them spoke. 

"Walk with me," said the King.

Biting back a sigh, Alexander fell in step next to the King. 

"Since you've been officially announced as the next in line, I'd think you would be more celebratory."

"Why did you do it?" Alexander asked, ignoring the King's comment. 

They came to a stop.

"You have to be more specific than that," the King replied.

"I asked you not to announce Cassidy as the next Queen. You promised - "

"I never promised anything to you."

Alexander clenched his jaw. It was always like this with him. Didn't he get tired of talking around in circles. No wonder nobody got anything done.

"You shouldn't have announced it," Alexander forced out.

"It was my decision," the King reminded him. "Besides, isn't this what you wanted? What do you have to complain about now?"

Alexander's gut twisted. 

What was the point of having a father when he never acted like one?

"If I known you were to make that announcement," Alexander began, struggling not to shout. "I would have told Rin and - "

"Ah, so that's what this is about."

Alexander saw red for a moment. He looked away before answering.

"Yes," he answered.

"All things considered," the King said, "it's better that you ended it now."

Alexander swirled around. "What?"

"Did you honestly think your relationship with her would last?" the King asked. "Don't be foolish. She's human."

"This coming from you?" Alexander spat out. "Where's your love of humans now?"

The King sighed.

"What future did you see with her?" he asked. "It all leads to the same ending. Save yourself the heartache."

"That's not the point."

"Are you sure?"

"It's my decision," Alexander growled out. "I want Rin at my side."

"Your are to be King. Did you want to take her as your bride? Will she be the one to lead our people? Vampires aren't created."

Alexander hesitated. He didn't want to answer. He knew that he could never ask Rin to stand in the spotlight.

"If you want a human as a mistress, by all means, but enough of this foolishness."

Alexander felt like he had been punched in the face.

"If anything, we can wait," the King continued. "It will take what, eighty years or so for her life to end and you can take the throne."

Rage blinded Alexander. It took every ounce of his will to not move. He shouldn't forget the man standing in front of him was the King. He tasted blood.

Somehow, Alexander managed to turn away. He forced himself to take one step then another. If this was how it was going to be from now on, then he was better off without a crown.