alternate ending

Danny read the note from his parents over and over again. His parents were seriously leaving him. It couldn't be. But at the same time, out of all the wild things that have happened to him in the past few months, he wasn't that shocked. Danny didn't have much time to think about what this meant for his future when he heard a tapping at the door. He quickly tucked the note back in the envelope and threw it on the coffee table, not wanting this to be the first thing he and Harry needed to talk through.

Danny walked over and stole a peek through the door's peephole, just wanting to catch a glimpse of his face. He saw Harry was rocking back and forth on his heels, biting his lip and smiling. Danny's stomach tickled with butterflies. Harry noticed him looking a few seconds later and flicked the peephole. "Hey!"

"Open the door, you idiot. You know it's me," Harry chuckled.

"If you insist," Danny sighed and smiled as he opened the door. "Hi."

"Hey," Harry said as he stepped in, shutting the door behind him and darting his eyes from side to side, his confidence faltering a bit. "Can we talk? Are your parents home?"

"Yes, we can talk. I sure hoped you would after driving 40 minutes to see me," Danny laughed, hitting behind his shoulder. "And no, they're not home." Danny swallowed the bitter taste in his mouth as he said that his parents weren't here.

They gravitated towards the living room couch. They sat and faced each other, tension filling the room. Not a bad one. Just the type where you felt change was in the air, that something had already shifted between them since the last time they saw each other.

"So," Harry cleared his throat and gathered his confidence. "Like you saw from my text, things are... different now."

"Different in what kind of way?" Danny asked cautiously.

"Me and Regina broke up. I guess you were right to question if I was really in love with her. I wasn't. I just didn't want to hurt her."

"Yeah. She called to tell me this morning. I'm glad she broke it off before you had to go on forever being too nice to do it yourself," Danny replied. He suddenly felt bad for saying it so passively.

"What I meant was... how do you feel about it?" Danny asked more lightly, wondering if Harry had any lingering feelings for her. He didn't want to overstep and boundaries or rush into anything that could come about between them - after all, Harry had just gotten out of a break-up this morning of a two-year relationship.

"Uh, well. I feel... God, how do I say this?" Harry titled his head back and let out a puff of air, wringing his hand nervously.

Danny noticed that both of their arms laid over the edge of the couch, hands dangling. Danny wanted so badly to reach out and hold his hand. He inched his hand closer, then stopped himself. Harry noticed and scooted his hand closer himself, his fingertips brushing his. Danny swore his heart stopped for a second and he tried to keep his cool, on the outside at least.

"Honestly? I'm okay. I'm actually weirdly happy. It just feels... like I did the right thing, you know?" Harry admitted, bringing his hand forward to grab Danny's fully, and rubbing his thumb across Danny's palm.

"Mh-hmm," Danny hummed in reply, not sure how to reply. Danny wondered if Harry could feel that warm and buzzing connection, too. That feeling when you know the other is thinking about you. When all your atoms are buzzing, aching Judging from the heat pooling in his cheeks as Harry watched their hands embraced, Danny thought it was true. To Danny, that feeling spoke louder than all the words they never said.

"Oh!" Harry tore his gaze from their hands, suddenly perking up as if remembering something. "I have some good news."

"What is it?"

"I got into Brown."

"Oh, thank God," Danny breathed, letting go of his hand to hug Harry tightly. 

"Congratulations. That's awesome. You deserve it," Danny said sincerely. "But I have to admit - I was so hoping you wouldn't get your SAT score higher so you'd be the perfect match for this school. I know it's selfish, but I wanted our colleges to be not so far from each other."

"Wow. Guess we got our perfect ending then, huh? Taking on New England together?" Harry smiled big as he pulled away, leaving a hand on Danny's shoulder.

Harry's smile suddenly dropped and he furrowed his dark eyebrows. "Well, that is if you're still going to RISD. You haven't withdrawn your application, right?"

Danny didn't respond for a moment, and Harry's eyes widened in alarm.

"Right? Danny please-"

"I didn't withdraw, no. But I did tell my parents I was gonna stay here in Cali and go to community college and get a job. I couldn't handle going across the country and leaving them here knowing they're living in fear and in hiding. They told me they were so proud of me for offering to do that. But then I woke up to an empty apartment, an envelope of $300, and... this." Danny reached for the envelope on the table and handed it to Harry.

Harry quickly read through his parents' handwritten note, his eyes widening. "No way. They can't be serious. What the hell?"

"I know. I think they want me to know that they're okay and I shouldn't worry about trying to support them. I just hope they're safe. I don't know when I'll hear from them again, or ever..." Danny's voice caught in his throat and felt his eyes sting with tears. He really didn't know when he'd ever hear from them again.

"Danny, I'm so so sorry," Harry said sympathetically, brows furrowed as he set the letter back on the table lightly.

"I think they want you to take that leap and go to RISD without worrying about what's going on back at home, Danny. Just focus on school and graduation right now. I can get a job or get money from my parents or something to help you. I know we'll figure it out. We always do." Harry put a hand on his knee comfortingly, and Danny felt sparks shoot throughout his leg.

"Thank you, Harry. Really." Danny gave Harry a grateful smile, wiping a stray tear.

"I always loved when you said 'we.' It always felt so safe, like it was us against the world and we were gonna make it through together. Just one of the many things I held back from telling you." Danny admitted, turning to face him.

"What are some of those other things?" Harry asked with his natural charm (something Danny felt he'd never be able to pull off) and licked his lips slightly.

Fuck it. He already knows I like him, Danny thought.

Danny took a breath then leaned forward and connected his lips to Harry's, pulling back after just a few seconds in hopes that he hadn't made a mistake. The kiss was brief, but it meant something. Time seemed to stand still as Danny watched Harry's eyes widen in surprise then dart back down to his lips.

Danny felt Harry put a hand to his cheek, and another to the back of his neck. They looked at each other for a moment, taking in their faces as if seeing each other in a completely different light. A small smile began to spread on Danny's face, but before he knew it, Harry was pulling him in to kiss him harder.