CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

"Totally worth it!" Zac and Shane high-five, and I stare at them in bewilderment as they continue to talk about how epic the ride was. Just yesterday they argued about who got to put the star on the Christmas tree, and now they were getting along like long-lost brothers.

"Aww, bromance!" Daniella coos, as she snaps a photo of them, appearing out of nowhere. I roll my eyes.

"Stalker," I mutter, but she just pretends to ignore me.

"How did you guys find your trip into the Twilight Zone?" Kevin asks, causing yet another re-telling of how awesome the ride was.
"The whole idea behind it...isn't it epic, babe?" Shane asks, seeming to finally remember my presence.

"Agree to disagree." I laugh. "I've never been one for scary movies."

"That's because you're chicken." Zac taunts, but I ignore him. "Hey, Shane, we should totally get your girlfriend in front of a few horror movies. Educate her," Zac says this in good nature, but he still spits out the words your girlfriend, causing Shane to tighten his grip around my waist.

Good thing I'm not as ticklish as Carley.

"Yeah, Sarah, you up for a few horror movies tonight?"

"It's Christmas Eve, not Halloween." I deadpan.

"So we'll watch Nightmare before Christmas." Zac shrugs. "Not exactly a horror, but it seems fitting, don't you think?"
"We're in Disneyland, and you want to watch movies?" I ask, incredulously.

"Disney Movies!" Shane defends, and I laugh.

"Okay, you win. After the parade tonight with our parents, we'll watch Nightmare Before Christmas."

"Yes!" Zac pumps his fist in the air like he's just scored a touchdown.

***

After the breath-taking parade(featuring creepy walking gingerbread men, disney princesses, and of course, Micky and Minnie) and an awe-inspiring fireworks display, we have a light dinner in our hotel suite, Janine insisting that Christmas Eve is not a time to be spent separate from family. (She completely avoids Shane and Kevin's gaze as she says this,)

"Presents!" Mia sings excitedly, after we've cleared away the dishes off the formal dining room table.

"Um, don't gifts happen Christmas morning?" I ask, confused, gaining a light, airy laugh from Janine that sounds like she's embarrassed.

"We usually get to open a single gift on Christmas Eve." Zac explains with a sheepish grin. That tradition sounds vaguely familiar, I think Carley's family does that. Or maybe it was Blake's...

"That's a lovely idea," my mom chimes in, and I notice that the dads have slipped away, probably to watch some football game or something.

Do they play a Christmas Eve football game? I know they do on Thanksgiving, but Christmas? I never really thought about it. Huh, I guess that's why I'm not dating a football player.

"Why don't we all open one gift tonight, hm?" Janine suggests to my mother, and she quickly agrees, hollering for my dad to come join us.
Once we're seated in the living area, Mia and Sean sitting on the floor by the tree, they hand each of us a gift addressed to us.

"Wait, don't we get to choose?" Tom asks, laughing heartily at his kids.

"Nope." Mia grins, and hands me a small white box that fits neatly in the palm of my hand, her blue eyes gleaming with mischief. What is she up to?

As I examine the tag, I realize it's from Zac.

My thoughts cloud in confusion as I look up at him.