Fate Part 1 (Revamped)

Zacznij od początku

Everyone knows it's an arranged marriage. In their circle, it almost always is. Yet they all willingly play into the fantasy of marital bliss, into the fantasy of choice, because the situation feels inhumane without it.

Kaycee allows herself to be whisked away, feeling Sean's familiar hand on her waist as he leads her to the dance floor. The pair are aware of the eyes on them as they step into the light. Kaycee feels their parents' approving looks from somewhere within the room digging into her back.

Sean spins her gently before gathering her closely into his arms, placing one easy hand on the small of her back, and the other leading her fingers to rest on his nape. He smiles at her softly, easing them into a slow sway.

At the feeling of his hips guiding hers, Kaycee thinks that perhaps in another life, Sean is a dancer. He can be weird and awkward at times, stumbling over his own feet whilst walking on a flat surface. But other times, when he slips into the role of her husband, he carries himself with an air that can only be described as pure grace.

Kaycee allows herself to be tugged close, allows Sean to rest his cheek against hers in a tight embrace. It is a beautiful display of affection, a stark contrast to his tone when he speaks hotly in her ear.

"What is it?" Sean rasps quietly.

"What do you mean?" Kaycee pulls back, just enough to meet his eyes.

He keeps his lips in a semi-smile, but his hard eyes tell her that he isn't amused by her feigning ignorance. "The reason you're giving me a death glare from across the room."

"I wasn't glaring at you."

"Yeah, right," Sean growls. If they were alone, he would have rolled his eyes. "What do you want?"

Kaycee sighs, too tired to pick a fight. "I want to go home."

Something in Sean's eyes flashes, something akin to frustration, but he catches himself in time. He trains his lips into a tight smile, but speaks to her through clenched teeth.

"We just got here, Kaycee."

"We've been here for three hours." She countered. "That's hardly 'just got here', don't you think?"

"Julian wants to talk business, says he has a proposal." He retaliated, still holding that composed grin on his face. "Can't you suck it up for another hour or something?"

"No, I can't." She lets her fake smile droop from her lips. "I'm bored. You can stay, but I'm going."

"Geez, Kaycee." He sighs, absently balling his hand into a fast that he ended up gripping the back of her dress. "Why do you have to be so fucking stubborn? Another hour won't kill you. Don't be a brat."

Her hazel eyes widen, and she stops moving with him altogether. "Who the fuck are you calling a brat?"

Sean's expression falters, and for a second, Kaycee thought they might end up yelling at each other right here in the middle of the party.

But the moment passes, and Sean shakes his head. Of course, he wouldn't let that happen. God forbid they drop their facade and ruin their image as a happy couple.

"Watch it." He murmurs through gritted teeth, his voice dangerously low that she shivers against him. "People are looking. You wouldn't want them to think we're fighting, would you?"

"But we are fighting." She replies quickly, not backing down. "And you started it, asshole."

"Kaycee."

The sirens in her head go off, warning her not to push him tonight. Sean was a patient man, but even he had a breaking point.

"Fine! You have 30 minutes, then I'm leaving with or without you."