CHAPTER XII

Mulai dari awal

Confused, I asked "What do you mean?"

"It's so humid here. Constantly. And ever notice how the sound carries outside? You can hear people from the main building all the way out at the hanger. It's like the sounds just hang in the air."

"Consistent humidity..." I mumbled under my breath, an idea popping into my head. I had read about certain bacteria thriving in humid environments instead of dry ones. Typically, viruses and such transmit easier in dryer air, but there are a few strains that are the opposite.

"Sienna?" Poe asked, concerned at my sudden silence.

"Hold on, I need to think about something." I pulled further away from him and stood up, picking a book up off of my desk and flipping through it until I got to my desired page. "Bacterial Pneumonia..." I said as my eyes scanned the pages. Devaronians are one of the only other species who can get pneumonia besides humans. Their best treatment for it is plethyl nitrate, but that is usually for strands of bacteria that do well in lower humidity. But if it were combined with something that can wick away unnecessary moisture...

My green eyes were wide as I looked over at Poe, who was staring at me curiously. "Charcoal."

"Doc?" He asked, not catching on.

"The moisture in the air is causing the transmission of this particular bacteria that's causing a different strain of pneumonia than we've seen. The bacteria probably is carried by those who live on the desert planet that the first patient was visiting. It's dormant there because of the atmosphere. The patient comes back here, and the bacteria is activated by the humid environment, where it can easily spread." I walked over to him, my eyes still scanning the pages. "By combining the typical treatment, plethyl nitrate, with something that can safely absorb some of the moisture within the body, the bacteria shouldn't be able to survive!" I dropped the book, grabbing the pilot's face between my hands. "Poe I could kiss you! I think we've found it!" I threw my arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight, quick hug, then rushed into the hall, grabbing a nurse and telling them to page Dr. Sanu.

"Tell her we have it. We have a diagnosis and treatment."

We worked through the night, figuring out the correct dosage and the right combination for the treatment. Once we formed the pressed tablets, we started to administer them to the patients. I personally delivered the medication to Mr. Veroan, giving it to him with a silent prayer that this made him better.

It took just over a day to see the changes. Walking into the medical wing, there was noticeably less coughing. The nurses had stopped wearing masks, which was a good sign. I went straight into Mr. Veroan's room. He was sitting up in his bed, reading a thick book and humming an up-beat tune. The sight brought a beaming smile to my face. I didn't want to interrupt him, so I just made my way to Dr. Sanu's office.

"Knock, knock." I said, making my way into the room. Dr. Sanu rose from behind her desk, returning my smile as we met in the middle of the room and wrapped our arms around each other. The embrace was filled with happiness, thankfulness and relief.

Pulling away, Dr. Sanu held me at arms length. "You did it, Sienna. I knew you would help us."

Shaking my head, I squeezed her shoulders. "No, this was our doing. Neither of us could've done it alone."

"Well, thank that pilot of yours for tipping off the idea. Theoretically, once these patients are clear and we ensure that no one else has been infected, the pneumonia should be eradicated, for now. I will send a transmission to General Organa updating you on the progress of everything in the next few days."

"Please do. I hate that we have to leave so suddenly, but now that the mystery here has been solved, I need to get back to my team." I was about to continue when the sound of quick footsteps came from down the hall. Keesahn came running into the room and latched onto my legs.