Chapter 1

The world isn't always a fair place, at one point in time it gets hard to trust people.

Tanjiro's POV

I walked down the rainy street, hands in the pockets of my dirty black and green checkered sweater. Water squelched in my shoes as I walked under the storm clouds and flickering street lights. I stopped for a second and looked down at a growing puddle, I sighed as I looked at my reflection. All I saw was a hollow shell, a nobody, someone who doesn't deserve to be alive. Berry was never around and Sherold didn't care, they were one of the worst foster parents I've ever had, and that's really saying something considering all the fosters I've been too.

I never want to be at home and neither does Nezuko, she always spends her time at the library and I have walked around the block so many times I know exactly where every little nook and cranny is. No matter how hard it rains, or snows or hails, I'm always walking the block. It always rains in Japan, that's the one good thing I guess, the rain will almost always drown out the screams and the voices.

I heard someone crying, it wasn't loud but I could hear it even through the rain. I kept walking trying to find the source of the crying, I crossed the street and walked to the end of the block. The crying got louder as I turned the corner, it was still a light sniffle, but something in my gut told me it was important. Around the corner there was a dirty alley between two buildings drenched in garbage water, in the far corner of that alley was a yellow haired boy curled up into a ball, sobbing.

I walked through the alley up to the boy, and sat down next to him. He was in a yellow sunflower sweater and light blue patched jeans. The patches were all different shades of blue, and the sunflowers were in bunches. I put my back to the next to him wall and slid down, I sat down next to him. It's not like I have anywhere else to be, Nezuko can take care of herself. "You ok?" I asked, he sniffled a bit more "No, I'm pathetic. All I do is cry, and most of the time it's for no reason!" He started crying even more. "It's ok, you're not pathetic" I reassured him as I put my arm over his shoulder.

This would've been awkward if it were any other stranger I've ever met, but he was special, I just knew it. "You don't know anything about me, I am pathetic and a crybaby!" He cried even harder, 'The hell am I supposed to do!?' I thought. He leaned into my shoulder and continued to cry, "Its ok, its ok, crying doesn't make you pathetic" I said this as I rubbed his arm. He sniffled a little more and looked up at me, I could feel the warmth radiating from his small figure. "I'm sorry, I don't even know you and I cried all over you" he whispered, he backed up and leaned away. I don't know why but I was almost sad he had leaned away,at least my arm was still over his shoulder. He had calmed down a bit was still sniffling a bit, we then just sat there, in the rain, in a dirty alley. After a while he leaned back into my shoulder, "I'm Zenitsu by the way" he said. 'Zenitsu, that's his name, it's a beautiful name. Makes sense, a beautiful name equals a beautiful boy' I thought. 'Wait what, no, it's not like I like him. No just no!' I found myself leaning in too. "I'm Tanjiro"

Sorry for the short chapter, it will get better. I promise!! 😗😅 Author-chan out!

Author-chan~