Chapter 13: The Truth

The gala was a lot busier than I expected. As we made our way into the castle, ponies bustled around everywhere trying to get into a line that stretched all the way down the hallway. However, once we got out of the initial crowd, it wasn't as bad. In fact, the ballroom was actually pretty empty. The other ponies must be waiting for a show or something out in a room down the hall.

I turned to Amber and Glaze. "Alright, we got in... Now what?"

"We didn't exactly think out the plan this far..." Amber looked around. "Shouldn't the princesses be here somewhere?"

"You'd think so..."

"We should split up."

I glanced over at Glaze. "Why the hell would we do that?"

"Because it's no use taking chances. If ponies from the Factory are here, they'll be looking for all three of us.
If we split up, it'll make us harder to find. They'll initially be looking for a group of three, and even if they do end up capturing one of us, the other two still have a chance. Assuming they don't kill us, at least. I don't suppose they will, if they have the choice. They'd probably love it if they could get some extra rainbows out of us after they killed all of this month's flight school failures right before we left."

"Not all of them!" Amber boasted with a grin.

We both ignored her, which seemed to make her mad.

I sighed. "Alright... You're actually making sense... If we split up, we can cover more ground while we search for the princesses. They must be somewhere in this castle. Let's do it."

Glaze nodded his head once. "If the princesses aren't out yet, then we can at least put this time to good use by patrolling for Factory guards. If we see any, we can notify each other to make sure none of us are captured or killed. This palace is so huge, they could be anywhere."

I looked around the ballroom at the numerous ponies, then over at the open doors that led to the outside. "Ok... I'll... I'll take the courtyard... You and Amber split up and do the castle." I suggested, really just looking for an excuse to get away from all these ponies. I'm extremely antisocial, I know.

"Fine, but I get this room. There's food here." He glanced over at the buffet table, eyeing a delicious looking apple pie.

I rolled my eyes. "This castle is huge, you'll have to cover a few more rooms than just this one, but sure, have your stupid food."

"So... If I'm patrolling the other side of the castle, does that mean... Y'know, if I see something I want to check out..."

I sighed. "Whatever, go ahead, it may just help you blend in more. Just... Keep a look out, ok? Remember, we're not here to have fun."

She nodded. "Oh, thank you thank you thank you!" She darted off.

"Amber wait-" I called, but it was no use, she was gone.

Well, at least I thought she was, until she stuck her head back in the room and yelled "Remember, be polite!" At us, then dashed off again.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Got it Amber."

"Pffttt, I can plenty polite," Glaze scoffed, stretching his wings.

"Alright well... Guess I'm off to the courtyard." I turned and walked off. I hope Amber knows that if they are here, the guards will probably be disguised... I thought worriedly.

A cold wind hit me as I made my way outside. The courtyard was actually quite beautiful, with perfectly cut hedges and strings of glowing lights strung between the trees.