Amber Zar-El.

I ignored the small aches in my muscles as I sat up. I felt fine, really. I felt invigorated and energized, probably the most I've felt in weeks. This is really weird...

"What did you give me? I feel a lot better," I commented, sitting up without struggle. She looked towards one of the counters, "I managed to get a hold of some medicine. Just be sure to take it easy. You've been out since this morning." She walked out of the room, leaving me to regain my senses.

I looked out one of the windows. It was completely dark.

I carefully stood up off the bed and stretched as I usually did. I walked over to my room, dressing in my usual suit when I heard the voice.

No! No, please!

Her voice, I had nearly lost in memory snapped itself back into my head. Screams and pleads filled my mind. It was as if she were in the room with me, screaming at the top of her lungs.

Don't do this. Please don't. Please, PLEASE!!

PLEASE! NNNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Her screaming was so loud in my mind I dropped to my knees, clutching my head, wanting it to stop. It was deadly and bone chilling, hitting every nerve, making every hair follicle on my body stand.

I shuddered, shaking my head, shutting my eyes. This isn't real. Amber's dead. As much as I want her back, I could never have her in my arms again. I had to accept that. I would grieve, but I can't go insane. She's gone...

She's gone.

I wasn't coping well at all. Thinking those two words brought out the dim fire in me, the fire that lit me up, forcing me to grip on to Amber's spirit. She's not gone. She's not.

She is.

I sighed angrily, angrily at myself for becoming so conflicted and opposed to my own emotions. Here I am, tearing myself up inside over my dead girlfriend, the girl I'd die for, the girl I'd give the world to. But her death wasn't what hurt me the most.

What stabbed me endlessly like a white hot brand was the fact that she told me how she really felt, right before her eyes closed forever, and I didn't tell her how much I cared for her, how much I really cherished her.

~

What seemed like eternity was actually a few hours. I was in my bedroom for hours, and I jumped out of my window to visit Amber's grave, the grave that seemed to become its own abandoned place.

The grass was dull, and flowers were dying, as they looked last time I'd came to visit. I should really fix that...

"I'm sorry I've been letting myself drop dead, almost. But I can't help it. I miss you, everyday," I whispered to her, hopelessly hoping she'd hear me. "It wasn't your time to die. You shouldn't have died."

I was going to tell her how I felt when the putrid stench hit me.

The smell of decay hit me hard, like a solid brick wall punch to the face. I couldn't be stupid. I had to find out what the stench was and get rid of it.

I checked all around the area, but there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Not a dead animal, nothing at all. What if it's just-

The scent hit me again, much stronger this time. Believe me, I was very, very, very close to puking my guts out. But I didn't, because my face went blank in shock as I realized where it came from.

Amber's grave.

When she died, we prepared her well enough so her body wouldn't smell at all like death. This can't be right.