Chapter 10

I watched as Beast Boy's, Starfire's, Raven's, and Cyborg's faces were all smiles. I was confused as to why they were throwing a surprise for us.

"What's the occassion?" I tried to play it cool.

"You'll see," Robin answered. His face completely changed. He went from utterly cold and brooding to warm and content. I didn't like that he was hiding his emotions, but then again, I'd be hypocritical to say anything about it right now. I do it too.

I must have been lost in my thoughts, trying to find a way to come back to reality and face Robin's shield of steel when Cyborg was waving his hand in my face.

"Anybody home?" he asked. My eyes widened instinctively and I blinked twice. "Yeah, sorry. I'm probably just really out of it or something." I laughed lightly.

I was about to say something else when darkness clouded my vision.

"Hey!" I whined. 

I heard Starfire's chiming laugh right by my ear. "Friend, you must not witness the surprise just yet," she explained. 

"The surprise is for me?"

I heard everyone's footsteps move towards one of the hallways. I moved in sync, making sure I didn't trip.

Approximately sixty eight seconds later, the footsteps stopped. I was so curious about what I was going to be surprised with. I thought about it until I heard a door open.

I was led inside, and the only thing I was able to hear was heart beats and quiet breathing.

My eyelids blinked under Starfire's hands. The darkness was suddenly gone, and what I saw before me was incredibly beautiful.

A large window rested to the right side of one wall, revealing the sea in its blue hued state. An entire wall had colors like fire, a mural of a gorgeous sunset. The sky around the sun was purple and pink. The other walls in the room were a deep red.

I turned to the furniture and gasped.

My bed had my Kryptonian symbol on the blanket. From what I can tell it was handmade. A dresser rested by the bed, it's pearl color reflecting monochromes.

I saw a set of two doors and ran over to open them. Wow...now this is what I call a closet.

"You guys didn't have to go all out! This is awesome, thank you!" I said contently. I saw their faces spread in smiles, including Robin's. For the moment he actually didn't fake it. I could just tell.

They walked out, presumably to give me some space. I jumped on my comfortable bed and stared at the ceiling. I noticed the stars on it. There was also a deep blue color to it, to make it look like I'm staring at the stars.

I would have stayed here, but everything that had just happened at the carnival came over me, forcing me to get up and march over to Robin's room. 

(Robin's POV)

There's no way he's here. He died. This isn't real. He's not here. He can't be...

Maybe it's just a copycat. We can take him down. I'll be sure to pound his face in.

I didn't want to pretend that everything was okay, but for Amber, I had to do so. If anyone in this tower is as observant as I am, it's her. She and I don't know each other too well, but after a couple of days, I could see how guarded she truly is. If she is as guarded as I am or more, she's just as observant, maybe better. 

I went straight to my room after leaving hers. I looked at the boxed evidence on my desk. Slade's cracked mask. A small detonator bomb. Things that only forced me to exert more focus.

How did he manage to survive a pit of lava?

I suddenly heard the door to my room open. I tried to ignore it and come up with a plan to take down Slade.

But how?

"Robin," Amber spoke my name, "I know you're still in shock about what happened at the carnival, but we'll get him. Maybe once we get more details about his whereabouts we can organize a sting with the team and take him out."

It wasn't a bad idea. That sounded like a great plan, but I honestly did not want to listen. I felt my head ache. 

"It's six against one. We can for sure take him out."

Why couldn't I just bring myself to turn around and look at her? Why couldn't I just say, 'Yes, Amber, that's an awesome idea' or, 'Amber, that's a great strategy proposal, but I'd like some space'? 

She touched my shoulder, trying to get me to turn around. I only saw her through my peripherals. Her touch sent a chill down my spine. 

"Robin-"

I grabbed her hand, entwining it in mine for a split second, and moved it off my shoulder quickly, knowing well that it appeared harsh. 

"Amber, one of us could have been seriously injured tonight. Do you understand that?" I asked, standing up and turning around to face her. 

"Isn't that what teammates are for? By all means, tell me if I did something wrong, but as far as I can tell, I did what I had to do back there. No civilians were hurt, I got to you in time and we made it home. We just have to come up with a game plan to get him."

"It's not just a game plan we need to come up with, Amber. It's Slade of all criminals. He's smart, and he gets inside your head. He knows how to break people down until he no longer has to use much effort to win."

"You mean like he's gotten inside your head?" Gone was the girl with the shy and quiet personality. Before me stood a mirror - cold, guarded, and very sharp with her words. Her tone deepened, emitting an aura of defense against me. This is what it felt like when I was cold and serious about a case.

"I need time alone. Please leave," I ordered, receiving no sort of reaction from her. 

As she turned to leave, she spoke up once more.

"Kill the demon in you that resembles Slade, and he no longer controls you."

(Amber's POV)

I went back to my room and paced slowly for about three hours. I burned through strategies and ideas of what I could do to help.

Slade isn't going down without a fight. According to Robin he's one of the more ruthless criminals.

Wait a second...