Chapter 1 - Warning Signs

I stared down at my hands as the bus pulled into the college entrance. I'd worn a loose fitting lilah jumper and a pair of baggy grey culottes. Baggy clothes were always my saving grace.

I smiled at the driver as I scuffled past with the rest of the students exiting the vehicle. I clung to my bag to try and steady myself and keep from falling. This was going to be a long day. As I stepped down I took a deep breath, preparing for the day ahead, a foreboding feeling filling my body. I shook it away, this was going to be a day just like every other.

I weaved my way through the crowds and made my way inside of the modern newly built college. Making my way towards the canteen I spotted Tucker waiting by the counter, chatting away to my best friend Amy. They two of them stood together was the picture of a perfect couple. I frowned slightly at the obscure thought that had entered my brain. Tucker was my boyfriend, but it never made me feel worthy of him. I gripped my bag tighter as I approached them.

Amy greeted me with a warm smile and a tight hug. 'Hi sugar, you're looking well today.'

Amy was effortlessly beautiful. Her natural red hair formed into perfect bouncy curls without even trying, the soft, silky texture that described her hair could also be used to describe the rest of her. Her flawless skin and soft features led to her being the most sought after girl in college. I paled in comparison to her, as did everyone.

I didn't consider myself ugly, my multi-tonal brown locks normally matches Amy's in their bouncy natural nature, but lately my hair was brittle and broken, a scruffy bun was the most I could manage with it.

Tucker kissed me on the cheek as I greeted him coldly. 'Can we talk?' I spoke through gritted teeth.

'Sure,' his nervous expression showing he clearly had no idea how pissed I was over not hearing from him all weekend. We made our way to a quiet corner table and sat.

'Is your phone broke?' I frowned as I posed the question, his face then mirrored my own. I stared down at my broken nails, missing their old healthy look.

'No, why?'

'Oh, I just assumed it must've been for you to have not called or text all weekend.' I glared at him. I loved Tucker, he was my best friend. But as a boyfriend, sometimes, he was useless. He'd go days without speaking to me, sometimes if we didn't have college, he wouldn't speak to me for a week. In his mind, this was normal behaviour for a boyfriend of 3 years.

We'd met when we were 14. I loved him instantly and knew even then, this boy was made to be in my life. A cool calm breeze in a never ending storm. He'd been there by my side through it all, and I knew he always would be. With Amy right next to him.

A smirk appeared on his face and he playfully stroked my hand on the table in front of him. 'Ive been working, Indy, you know I work. You're so cute when you're grumpy.' He gently flicked my nose as he teased.

My glared lifted and I realised I was being stupid. Of course he was working. We'd just started our second year of college. Tuckers 18th birthday was only a few weeks away, and he knew he was getting a car. He was trying to save money for gas and day trips for the two of us, and probably Amy.

'I'm sorry, I've not been feeling good. It might've helped just to hear your voice for a little while.' I smiled and held his hand in mine lightly. My other gripped my seat, trying my best to stay still and not sway off my chair. The whole room was spinning and an overwhelming dizziness was consuming me. My eyes bore into Tucker, trying to focus on his face.