"Marek...he works for your brother now. Him and I aren't friends," I comment, unsure of what our relationship could be considered as. What would Vaia's reaction be if she knew Marek is a kidnapper? I have a feeling she wouldn't be fazed, considering his reasons for doing it.

She doesn't strike me as the kind of girl to have a guardian Tani she believes in.

"Yet you showed up here with him. I heard your conversation that first night, when he tried to protect you," she challenges, leaning back against her extended arm, narrowing her eyes ever so slightly.

As far as Tai knows, Marek is only protecting me due to his obligations to my supposed father. For me, I'm still not convinced on why he's protecting me, trying to help me escape. Sure, he owes me that much, but I can't imagine he has a very strong sense of morality.

"Trust me, we mean nothing to each other," I assure her.

"Good. He's the first nice looking guy to come through this estate outside of the Nobles. But they are all stuck up and childish. Marek seems...nice," she comments wistfully, smoothing out a few wrinkles on her bedspread.

Vaia has already determined Marek is worthy of her affections, before either of us had a chance to settle in. I'm not blaming her for being attracted to her, but don't appreciate being dragged here to be told how much she wants him in his bed, which I assume is coming next. Likely this interest is born from curiosity, with the likelihood of a Summoner passing through this manor being very low. Even if Vaia claims to be well-travelled, I doubt she has much experience with their kind of magic.

I shift uncomfortably. "Well, I wouldn't know."

"We bumped into each other, and although he didn't seem so interested right away, he didn't dismiss me like Taius's friends," Vaia remarks, at this point more to herself than me. I can't help but wonder if Vaia has friends of her own, considering she venting to me about her romantic frustrations and no some wealthy socialite she knows.

"Right..."

"If you're not together, then you need to set me up with him. Not like on a date or anything, but so we can talk more," she says, so much like a demand it makes me bristle. I have all aspects of the royal family bossing me around, apparently.

Vaia gets to her feet, not waiting for a response. I watch her curiously as she opens up a set of pale white doors, revealing a myriad of brightly coloured clothing of foreign origin, made from silk, satin, cotton and other kinds of fabric I've never seen before.

"He's not a good guy. Why are you so desperate?" I ask warily, watching her fondle the fabric of her clothing absently.

She has no reason to be, she's beautiful, in a refined, elegant kind of way. Her skin appears vibrant and immaculate at all times, likely from creams and serums my family could never afford to provide me, and her hair always shimmers and shifts with stunning brilliance. It's unrelenting straightness is in completely contrast to my own curls, which I brush over my shoulder.

"I'm not desperate," she retorts, glaring at me over her shoulder. "But I need this. I'm going to have the most boring summer of my life, and you owe me."

You owe me. I'm not sure if information about her brother that likely won't serve me very well, yet she says that as equivalent to match-making her and the Hunter. Does she even know he hunts? Or that he kills Tani? I wonder how she would react if I told her Marek kidnapped me.

"You know what, I'll do it. You can see for yourself what kind of guy Marek is," I mutter, knowing either of their fates mean little to me. Perhaps they would be perfect for each other, considering Vaia's ignorance and his danger.

She turns around, her wink devious. "He can't be as bad as me."

***

All day, I've heard nothing from Tai.

Sitting in my room, drinking in the saffron and butterscotch coloured rays that stream through my open windows, I consider all the possibilities from this agreement with the King that I expected to happen, that so far haven't. He has been awfully passive, dealing with responsibilities beyond what he can discuss with me. So far, I feel like nothing more than a guest.

I can't let myself become jaded, however, as these gruesome ideas that have surfaced from the depths of my mind are still very much a threat.

A gentle gust of wind billows through the open door, carrying with it a petrichor scent, reminding me of how much it rains in the Jade Province. From the corner of my eye, I notice it catch on the edge of a piece of paper that tilts over the edge of my dresser. Curiously, I sit up, picking up the delicate paper, seeing it addressed to me.

Akara.

Feel free to ignore this message, however, I've been unable to stop thinking about how you are doing in Tai's presence. I understand how many men has to protect him, however, I have no doubt it would benefit you greatly if you knew how to protect and defend yourself.

If you are willing, I would like to teach you. At least the bare minimum, to help me sleep at night.

Meet me outside, at the back kitchen exit at midnight. I completely understand if you do not come.

Marek.

❤️••❤️

If you guys want to read ahead, you can read more of KING'S POSSESSION on Radish! It's chapters ahead of Wattpad (:

💋••💋

Hope you guys enjoyed!
Let me know what you think (:

Hope you guys enjoyed!Let me know what you think (:

🐼••🐼

Hope you enjoyed!!!

Instagram: Sophie_Midika

~Midika 💜🐼