Chapter 6

Jay/Luke

I knew she would look beautiful, but I didn’t think seeing her would make me feel this way. I’m glad I asked Max for some tips. Being the charmer that he is, Max knows a few things about women. I’m not that great with women or words when sober. If I weren’t for him, I know I would have said something embarrassing to Emma when I first saw her tonight. Fortunately I was able to do what Max suggested- tell her she looked great. Now I just had to make sure I didn’t make a fool of myself in front of her and that she doesn’t find out about me just yet. Nathan, Tom and Max were all giving me ideas of what to say in case she asked certain questions about me. Since he still doesn’t think this is all a good idea, Siva didn’t say anything to me. All he told me when I was leaving was to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into.

 Now that I was standing in front of her, I couldn’t think of anything to say. Hugging her had been distracting. I liked the feeling of holding her in my arms, and she smelled nice too. Whoa, Jay lad, slow down there. Emma doesn’t seem to notice my distraction. “So what’s the plan? Where do we go from here?” Her question brings me back to reality.  “Uhh well I made a reservation at this swanky restaurant not too far from here. My mate told me about it.” By my mate of course I mean my manager Kevin. “Do you want to walk or do you want to get a cab?” Emma smiles and says “Didn’t you say its not too far? We can walk. I love walking.” We leave the park and walk in the direction of the restaurant. During the walk, I ask Emma about the neighborhood. She tells me about all the great restaurants and bars located in Williamsburg. I remember her mentioning the other day that she’s lived her for about a year, and I’m about to ask her why she chose this area when we arrive to the front of the restaurant. Emma’s reaction when she sees where we’re at is priceless. “The Juliette French bistro?! Oh my god, what! This place is amazing!”  I have to remember to thank Big Kev later on. I smile at Emma and ask “So you’ve been here before then?” Emma gives me an exasperated look “Have I been here? Ha! I wish. It’s a bit out of my budget. Okay, a lot of my budget. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it though. But we can’t eat here.” At first I thought she was joking, but when I look at Emma, I see that her face is completely serious.  I’m confused so I ask her “Why can’t we eat here?” Emma sighs and says “Luke, I think this place is great and I’m flattered that you want to bring me here, but it’s too expensive.” That’s what she’s worried about?! I couldn’t stop myself from laughing, “Don’t worry Emma. That’s not a problem.” She looks at me through narrowed eyes, still skeptic, and asks, “Are you sure?” I try to think of a convincing answer, “For a girl like you, this is really nothing. You deserve more.” I wink at her, hoping I don’t look like a complete idiot. Nathan made it look so much easier a few weeks ago. Emma bursts out laughing and says “Okay that is possible the cheesiest thing I’ve heard in a while, so fine, let’s eat here.” I smile while holding the door open for her. When we go inside, we’re greeted by a cheerful blonde hostess with a strong French accent. Her name is Camille. I tell her we have a reservation for 8 pm and when she asks for the last name on the reservation, I panic. Tom made the reservation for me. I don’t remember if I told him what name to use. Looking behind me at Emma, I see Emma completely engrossed in a French billboard on the front wall, so she has no idea what is going on. I hesitate for a minute before answering “McGuiness”. The hostess looks through her book and says “Jay McGuiness?” Tom used my real name. I turn towards Emma again and now she’s looking at me, a confused look on her face and this is when I really panic. “No, that’s not me. It should be Luke McGuiness.” The hostess looks at her book again and says “Well I’m sorry Mr. McGuiness, I only have a reservation for Jay, not Luke.” Emma is standing next to me now and asks “What’s going on? Is everything okay?” I don’t answer her and before I know what I’m doing, I look at Camille and tell her “I’m sorry for the bother. Looks like maybe we’ve got the wrong place.” With that, I grab Emma’s hand and walk out the restaurant. “Luke, what happened? You look terrified.” Emma sounds concerned and slightly annoyed. I quickly think of an excuse and all I can come up with is “My reservation didn’t go through.” Emma looks like if she’s expecting more of an explanation, so I try to make a joke, “Seems like we won’t be eating here anymore. You win.” This brings a smile to her face and she asks “Good. So what’s your plan now?” “Uhh, well I actually don’t have another plan. I thought my first plan was brilliant so I didn’t think I would need a back up plan, which is pretty stupid of me, I guess.”  I had a feeling something like this would happen. I always ruin things. Although this really isn’t anyone’s fault. Maybe Tom’s fault, but I can’t hold it against the lad. I got myself into this situation by lying to Emma, so these are the consequences I have to pay.