Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Three

Given the outcome of their previous attempt, Ana was understandably reluctant to take Eva and Tren to Krays's Library again. They had to waste precious time talking the stubborn and frightened woman into granting them a return passage. In the end, Eva had to promise that this would be the last time. She did so with discomfort. Only one more chance at Krays's secrets? They would have to make sure that nothing went wrong this time.

Maintaining a stubborn, disapproving silence, Ana took them to a quiet, little-used room in the Library. The chamber was deserted, but still the woman was extremely tense. She kept hold of their wrists for a full minute after they arrived, standing still and alert as she listened for alarms.

To Eva's relief, nothing happened. She, too, had suffered doubts about the efficacy of the devices she and Tren carried. After all, Iwa had said they "should" be up to date, but hadn't been able to confirm that with perfect certainty. A sigh of relief escaped her when another minute passed without the alarms sounding.

'I'd be fast,' Ana said, speaking in a half-whisper. 'Krays isn't the only dangerous one around here.'

'Superfast,' Tren agreed.

Ana chewed on her lip, staring at each of them in turn in some kind of indecision. Then she reached into her cloak, unfastened something from her belt and handed it to Eva. It was a collection of small metal objects like the ones Krays had worn. They didn't look like any keys she had ever seen, but somehow she recognised their function.

'That's it, now,' Ana said, looking like she already regretted the action. 'If you're found with those, it's all over for me.'

'Thank you,' Eva said, with true gratitude. Ana was taking a risk indeed, and a useful one, for they wouldn't get far in here without keys.

'They won't get you in to everything, mind,' Ana warned. 'You will have to find your own way into the more secret areas.'

She vanished without waiting for a reply.

'Hold still,' Tren said. 'I'm doing the invis.'

Eva held still, watching with fascination as her own body gradually disappeared. Then Tren faded out too.

'The difficult part will be keeping together,' she mused. 'Already I have no idea where you are.'

Tren's hand slid into hers and gripped tight. 'Stay close,' he said, and she could hear the smile in his words. 'That's the best way. Ready to go?'

'Almost. Can you hide Rikbeek too?'

'Ah, good thinking.'

Eva plucked the gwaystrel off the fabric of her coat and held him out. His small, fur-dusted black body hovered weirdly atop her invisible hands, until he too disappeared.

I need you to check for dangers, she said to him.

His refusal was immediate, and emphatic. He was busy... sleeping.

Not negotiable, Beek. She threw him into the air, unsettled by the fact that she couldn't see if he took flight or not.

A quick, sharp pain lanced through her ear. Putting up her fingers, she found the dampness of blood.

Yep, he was on the wing.

Be alert, Beek. We'd like to stay alive, if at all possible.

He sent her his grudging assent, bit her once more for good measure and winged away. She kept part of her mind with him, tracking his progress as he headed for the door.

'He's in flight,' she told Tren. 'He'll warn me if he sees any mechs. Or people.'

'So what's the plan?'