Orlind: Chapter Four

Pensould had finally learned the art of knocking on doors. He still did it with unbecoming force; the moment the pounding began Llandry ran to rescue the door before he could knock it out of its frame altogether. He grinned sheepishly at her as she wrenched it open, and she realised she was probably scowling at him.

'Good morning, Minchu,' he said. 'Or whatever time of day it is out here. I don't think we are on a world, so can there be times of day?'

'An intriguing philosophical point,' she said, ushering him inside. 'But I can't at all be bothered to think about it just now.'

'You're right, of course,' Pensould agreed. 'There are much more pressing matters at hand.'

She assumed he was referring to her mother's state, or perhaps the impending (or on-going) attacks on Glinnery, but he didn't pursue those topics either. Instead he swung a small rucksack off his shoulder and sat cross-legged right there on the floor to open it up. Out came a range of fruits: she didn't recognise most of them but their plump shapes, shiny skins and rich colours suggested that they would taste wonderful. The last item to come out of the sack was something she did recognise: a soft pink nara fruit from Glinnery itself. Pensould retrieved a wooden bowl from the bottom of his bag and amused himself arranging the fruits in an intricate and colour-coordinated pile, then flashed her a dazzling smile.

Llandry sat opposite, smiling back a touch uncertainly. Doubtless she hadn't been eating properly of late, having been unconscious for a time. It was kind of him to bring all these.

'Where did you get the nara?' she enquired.

'Bune gave all these to me. He didn't tell me where they came from.'

'Can I have it? The pink one.'

He handed it over and watched with satisfaction as she bit into it. It was a perfect fruit, well ripened and sweet. Pensould scrutinised her closely as she ate it, his expression expectant.

'Thank you,' she said when she'd finished. He smiled, but she had the impression this wasn't the reaction he'd been expecting.

'Umm. Sigwide might like that blue one,' she offered. Immediately he produced a knife from somewhere and sliced it up into small pieces, which the orting investigated and then ate with gusto.

'There; you have pleased us both,' she smiled.

That statement apparently pleased Pensould too, inordinately so, for his grin became maniacal.

'Excellent!' he enthused. 'And how are you feeling, Minchu? Recovered?'

'I think so.' She did feel much better, having benefited from some proper sleep and Bune's excellent food. Impatience gnawed at her ceaselessly, however, making it difficult for her to relax. 'I want to ask Lady Eva to take me to Mamma,' she added. 'Maybe today.'

Pensould didn't reply. She could feel him checking her over with his draykon-senses, a sensation that felt mildly invasive. She shivered, but he was still beaming.

'You are stronger than I thought, Minchu,' he said, rousing her indignation. Did he think her so frail? 'Perhaps we should go today, indeed,' he added, as if he was granting his permission.

'Fine,' she said stiffly, and his face fell.

'Are you displeased?'

'No...' she began. 'Not exactly.'

He waited.

'I'm grateful for your care,' she said. 'Truly.' And it was true. She'd heard about Pensould's dedicated attendance while she was ill, and she knew that he may well have saved her life by replacing her exhausted energy with his own. But still. 'You're smothering me, a little.'