Orlind: Chapter Ten

Start from the beginning

Nobody answered that horrible thought. With the collective unease growing to palpable levels, Llan felt glad that she was here with her father on one side and Pensould on the other. She inched a little closer to Pense.

'I think that is correct,' Pensould said at last. 'If I may presume to speak for my kind, I do believe that is a deal they would take.'

'But they were winning,' Aysun objected.

'For now. Mostly because you were unprepared. But soon you will not be. Humans won the last war, remember? And that is because you are an ingenious race. Already you have found ways to build better, more effective weapons. And if the other Realms support you? These draykoni are not that numerous. If they hope to take, and also keep at least two of your Seven Realms, they'll need help.'

Aysun gave a curt nod. 'All right. So they would listen to this "Krays". What new horrors are we to expect?'

Llandry exchanged a look with Eva. What possible answer could they give to that?

'Not sure, Pa,' she ventured.

'That's no help, Llan.'

'She's right, though,' Eva said. She gave a brief account of everything they knew about Krays's weird machinery, which was not very much. 'He will have more workshops that we don't know about, building devices of a type we've never seen and probably can't imagine. If Krays is throwing himself behind this war, we won't know what else we're facing until it happens.'

Aysun sighed, looking ten years older. 'Very well.'

'But...' Avane actually spoke, to Llan's surprise. Typically, the older woman was even quieter than she was. 'Why would Krays help the draykoni? Why would he care about their war?'

'Good question,' Eva said slowly. 'I wonder if he does care? He's been weirdly fixated on this cluster of worlds for some time. Maybe he has a reason to want the Realms under draykon control again.'

'Maybe,' Tren said. 'Or maybe it's simpler than that. He's always wanted draykon bone. He wouldn't pass up the chance to have twenty-odd live draykoni within reach. All those bones, hide, teeth.'

'That point has merit,' Pensould said, 'but they would never give those things away, no matter what was offered to them in return.'

'No, but Krays doesn't play fair,' Tren countered. 'He'd find a way to trick them. Or not all of them, but maybe one.'

'Good theory,' Eva said. 'But they'd still have to agree to something he was demanding, in exchange for his help.'

No one had any answer to make to that, so at last Aysun pronounced the meeting at an end. 'I'll pass your information to my wife,' he said, with a nod to Eva.

'And I will keep you informed of our progress,' Eva said in return. 'If I may request the voice-box from Pensould?'

'Oh, yes,' said Pense, fishing the little device out of his pocket. 'You will need it more than we will.'

'Thank you,' said Eva with a smile. 'And off we go. We have an appointment in Draetre.'

It suddenly occurred to Llandry that she had no idea when she would see Eva or Tren again. Or even if she would see them again. They were going after Krays, and he was dangerous. On impulse, she ran to Eva and hugged her.

'We'll be careful,' Eva whispered, returning the embrace. 'But you must be, too. Keep our friends safe.'

'I'll try,' Llandry said, stepping back. She eyed Tren, thought about it, but... no. She really wasn't on hugging terms with him.