1

A long overheated corridor, painted magnolia, aged to off white from when the candidates could smoke themselves silly with nervous anticipation. Badly padded chairs that magically seem to get less comfortable the longer you sit on them. The air filled with anxious energy, you could run a power station on it.

Edie clutched her curriculum vitae, hands clammy under the plastic wallet. She watched the penultimate candidate get up from her chair, brushing her mid length skirt and gliding to the double doors with an air of confidence. All whilst wearing four inch heels. Edie wished she could carry off shoes like that but flat black shoes were less likely to result in broken bones for those with a clumsy predisposition. That woman has the job, she thought, maybe I should admit defeat and go home, I'm just here to make up the numbers.

She should accept her fate as the family disappointment. The way things were going she wouldn't be the only thirty-one year old living in the attic of their parents house, amongst the long abandoned exercise bike and Auntie Susan's blackcurrant wine (check vision after drinking).

It shouldn't be like this. Divorced and unemployed, she was no further along in life than a teenager, well, except for the marital status.

Deep breath. Thinking positive thoughts, head up not looking at my feet, exude confidence. Smile! I can do this. Can I? Edie tapped her foot, a nervous habit. She swore she had suddenly forgotten all the interview techniques she'd practised with her sister Annabel. Hell, she wasn't even sure if she could recall her name.

"Edith Hunter! Are you here?" A voice called. From the exasperation in the tone, it wasn't the first time they had uttered her name.

Great. Edie had been caught daydreaming red handed. Never mind, they must have hired the woman on the spot? They'll be just going through the motions with me. She knew it, she had been there before, the last minute addition to replace someone who had dropped out.

"Ms Hunter, stop dreaming and come with me!" The voice was sharp but full of humour. Edie got up abruptly.

"I wasn't daydreaming, it's just a long wait, perhaps I should have brought a book." Edie mumbled.

"Ah don't worry about it" said the tall freckled woman with long red curly hair. "Sorry about the wait, I sometimes lose track of time, it's a fault of my kind."

Kind? Edie thought, as in species? The woman showed no signs of being a paranormal.

She wore a crushed velvet dress, the sort that was found in vintage bohemian shops during Edie's student days. A purple band was around her wrist, Edie noticed it in horror. It wasn't the time for enquiring about the woman's undead paramour, soulmate. It would bring up more memories not suited to conducting a good job interview.

"Follow me, I'm Faith by the way," Edie went to shake Faith's hand but Faith held her hands up, "No offence Ms Hunter but it's best not to shake hands with me, I'm an empath. "

"Oh," even in a job interview she couldn't get away from magic. Although if Faith could only use her abilities with touch she wasn't that strong.

"Don't worry, I know what you're thinking but I'm not telepathic, just intuitive from experience and training with the Psi." Faith cleared her throat flashing the tattoo on her wrist. Edie wondered how the woman was still sane, but Faith interrupted her thoughts.

"I expect you're wondering what is about to happen Ms Hunter? Can I call you Edith?"

"I prefer Edie,"

"Edie. Edie, yes that works" Faith seemed to be testing her name, working through the vowels as if it were a fine wine. Then she clapped her hands together, as if to snap out of the state of mind. "When you are ready we will walk through these doors and I will explain to you how I work."

"Work?" Edie said.

"Yes my work, but not here, where walls have ears." She put her hand on the door, "are you coming?"