Chapter 15

Oh how the tables had tabled

Third person pov

Aizawa had been tense the first part of the movie, his eyes darting between the screen and Hiroki. Hiroki wasn't nearly as air-headed as he acted, and of course noticed this. He chose to spare Shota any possible embarrassment and ignored it. The white haired man felt as though he were missing something. Whatever it was, it was big, too. Shota acted weird around him. At first, Hiroki had assumed maybe it was because he was back from the dead and that was admittedly a more than a little mind boggling. Now, Hiroki wasn't too sure. He swore he could remember Shota exhibiting some of these same behaviors when he was younger-- before Hiroki kicked the can.

He relaxed eventually, Hiroki was proud to say. He didn't respond verbally to much of Hiroki's commentary as the movie drifted on. It was a nice lull, and Hiroki found himself not feeling lonely for once. He'd felt isolated since he'd gotten back, drifting almost mindlessly through the haze of this new and unfamiliar world. Seeing how time had moved on without him had thrown him through the wringer. It was emotionally exhausting to keep up sometimes. 

"So... Shoto Todoroki." Shota spoke, drawing the white-haired man's attention away from the movie. Aizawa's cheeks flushed when those warm eyes fell upon him, curious and ever attentive. He glanced away fervently. "Are you going to go to Nezu about getting custody of him? Can I do anything to help?"

Hell yes he was going to go to Nezu. Not only could he not afford a lawyer capable of combatting Endeavor's hefty legal team, he also wanted this to be as painless as possible for Shoto, for as long as possible. His super genius boss was definitely going to know the best way to go about that. He was sneaky, and Hiroki and Shota both knew this. Hiroki had no doubts his intelligence had to have grown over the past several years. Nezu would slit the throat of Endeavor's career before he ever knew what was happening.

"He's been through a lot, I think." Hiroki's voice came out soft. He deflated slightly, melting a little into the couch. Shota observed him with keen eyes, watching the man huff. He looked irritated just thinking about it. "Endeavor has always been an asshole, but to think it... it went that far, and I wasn't here--"

"You were dead." Shota cut him off bluntly. He tensed when Hiroki tipped over, head plopping against his shoulder. He swallowed and pushed on, refusing to let his brain dip out on him right now. He cleared his throat instead, his cheeks hot and voice a little quieter than before. "It isn't your fault. You couldn't have seen it coming."

"I know." Hiroki submitted to it easily, his voice heavy. "I just... I have to get him out of there. He deserves so much more, and he's my nephew. He deserves safety and security if I can provide it." 

Shota hummed, unable to say much more. A deep frown creased his face at the thought of one of his students suffering in any capacity. He knew he should've dug deeper when he saw the scar on Todoroki's face. His closed-off nature and refusal to use the fire portion of his quirk were both red flags. One's he'd overlooked when the USJ occurred and he was recovering, and eventually glossed over when his left side burst into flames in the final portion of the sports festival. He'd seemed more ready to accept friendships following the whole event. If anyone was guilty here, it was Aizawa. He'd failed as a teacher in this capacity.

"Nezu will be more than willing to help. You know how he is." Shota tried not to focus on the way Hiroki's body felt against his, warm and solid and so, so painfully real. He resisted the urge to glance over. He'd melt if he did, he was sure, at the sight of his cheek squished against his own shoulder. At those delicate brows, no doubt furrowed with frustrated thought. He could almost envision the emotions swirling in the man's expressive eyes. He'd always been so open, and he still was. Shota could get lost in him if he wanted to.