Chapter 18

only dead on the inside dont worry

this is so gooey im gonna vomit but dont mind me dont worry you guys enjoy have some second hand embarrassment its fine

Third person pov

Shota is so far gone it's not even funny. He's not sure he can handle this. They're all seated together in the living room, Shinso on the loveseat adjacent to the couch he and Hiroki have commandeered for themselves. The soup Hiroki prepared is warm and it cuts through the minor chill Shota had caught from his time in the rain. He knows he should be a little more focused on the bruised student they found in the downpour, but he can't pry his eyes away from his roommate as he rambles.

Hiroki is beautiful. Aizawa knows this, yet the realization still strikes him just as hard every time it dawns on him. Which is quite often, if he's going to be honest here. Hiroki is sitting crisscross with his soup balanced in his lap, hands waving around animatedly as he waits for the heat to waft away slightly before he digs in. If Shota scooted over just a little, Hiroki's knee would be touching his leg. They're so close, and Shota can't help but relax and smile a little, enraptured by Hiroki's telling of things. 

"So you were dead for ten years?" Hitoshi held his soup close and tried to remember the last time he had a home cooked meal. He felt frighteningly domestic here, not so afraid for himself and his safety. His foster home was a battlefield that he filtered through day after day, simply going through the motions he needed to survive. Eraserhead and Hiroki-sensei's apartment, in contrast, was a warm little bubble free of any major worry or threat. 

Hitoshi glanced at the underground hero not for the first time, reverent awe still present within his chest. Eraserhead was his idol, even if the guy was pretty clearly going through some sort of gay panic. He was absolutely taken with Hiroki, his quote-on-quote 'roommate'. Not husband. Could've fooled Hitoshi, that's for sure. Shota Aizawa gazed at Hiroki-sensei like he had hung to sun, moon, and stars. Hitoshi had never seen someone more lovestruck in his entire life. It was hilarious. He wondered if Hiroki-sensei had noticed.

"That's right!" Hiroki chirped. He beamed at his student. He didn't see the Gen Ed classes everyday like he did the hero students, but that didn't mean he cared any less. "Shota was kind enough to offer me a room here since I was struggling to find a place close enough to the school. It's an added bonus that I get to make sure he eats and gets more than two hours of sleep a day." 

Aizawa flushed red as Hiroki winked conspiratorially at Hitoshi, who let his lips curl into a hesitant smile. He was glad they weren't asking what had happened. Conversation with his criminology teacher was effortless. There were no expectations. They didn't prod for explanations or justifications. They simply let him sit out and wait for the rain to pass, warm, comfortable, and nursing his bowl of soup whilst cherishing every bite. 

"I eat just fine." Shota grumbled out weakly, knowing it wasn't true. Hiroki turned to him with a flat but amused look. Aizawa forced his face not to catch on fire, eyes taking in Hiroki's face with greed he failed to hide. Hitoshi spooned some more soup into his mouth, watching them. Wow. Eraserhead wasn't subtle at all. Being an underground hero meant you had to be sneaky, right? Well Mr. Aizawa was shit at it.

Aizawa thought about their escapade in the rain. The dancing and spinning and jumping around, so carefree and trivial. Irrational, one could wager to argue. Yet Shota was pretty sure it had been the best moment of his life. That this entire-- everything about all of this was just... the best moment of his life, one big chunk. Hiroki was simply everything. His mind wandered back to those long dredges of soaked white hair laid into a flat, smooth sheet by the rain. Bright gleaming eyes edged with mischief that taunted him forward out of his usual comfort zone. The water had rolled off Hiroki's milky skin like crystals, and it would've been so easy to sweep the smaller man up into his arms. What would Hiroki have done? How would he have reacted?