Part 26

“Who is it?” asked a muffled voice from inside.
“John Watson!” John called a bit too loud.
“Come in.” She said, and the door opened by magic probably. John and his friends walked into the little office, which was packed with books and folders on bookshelves. There were three chairs in front of a desk, which McGonagall sat at, grading papers.
“How may I help you four?” She asked. Greg glared at John, as if demanding he do the talking.
“Well, I was wondering if I would be allowed to know about the memories I lost.” John said.
“Which ones?” She asked.
“It seems to me like I had a, girlfriend, before the one I have now, and I’d like to know so I don’t waste my time.” John said.
“I don’t think you’re allowed to have memories back.” She said, her voice small, as if she wanted to give him the information too.
“But I only want one name!” John insisted.
“I’m sorry Mr. Watson, but you need to find that out for yourself.”
“How am I supposed to do that?” John demanded, his patience wearing thin.
“You just have to figure it out, I’m sure it’s staring you right in the face.” She said. Right now she was looking him in the face, and John was positive it defiantly wasn’t McGonagall.
“Thank you Professor.” John muttered, and left the office, his friends trailing behind.
“That was quick.” Greg commented as they walked through the corridor. John didn’t answer, he was too mad at everyone right now to care, people were insufferable. He sulked all the way to the common room, hissing the password to the fat lady, who seemed rather offended, and instead of sitting in the armchairs like he usually did, he went up to his dorm and slammed the door, letting the bang be heard throughout the entire common room. John flopped on his bed, face buried in his pillows, done with the world. If anyone came in he’d jinx them. He was supposed to love someone already, not Mary, the only person he’s ever remembered liking, but someone else that he completely forgot. McGonagall was right, it probably was staring him in the face.

                The fall went by very quickly, the leaves had all changed and fallen off, and finally instead of rain, fluffy white snow had fallen on the ground, making the grounds look like a Christmas card. John had gone through the weeks with Mary, they had kissed a couple of times, but it just didn’t feel right, the mysterious love of his always creeped up in the back of his mind, he’s ponder it as he tried to sleep at night, but no one came to mind. The dreams had gotten less and less, after a while they faded just like the rest of his memories. The classes were difficult now that NEWTS were coming up, and John knew he had a bit of a disadvantage at not remembering a couple weeks of his life. The teachers did the best they could to get him on track, and for the most part he wasn’t lost anymore. Quidditch had gotten more intense, they had played three games against all of the other houses, and the only one they lost to was Slytherin of course, which had proved to be a tough competition. He had started to get used to freezing onto his broom every night, and the only free nights he had were spent with Mary, sitting in one of the two common rooms and talking, holding hands in front of the fire. For not being the love of his life, Mary was a pretty good alternative, John really liked her, but there was still a gap that could only be filled by someone else. Another surprise had come up, a special ball, the Yule Ball to be official, had come up, planned on Christmas day, which was approaching too quickly. John knew he should ask Mary, but he wanted the time to be perfect, and so far he didn’t have that chance. The students were all supposed to dress in dress robes and dates were required to enter, so all of the girls were gossiping like crazy, spending an hour or so trying to look as pretty as possible so someone would ask them. They annoyed John a lot, but thankfully they realized that he wasn’t available and didn’t ask. Greg had gotten a date quickly, Molly Hopper, a Hufflepuff on their quidditch team. Sara and Mike still hadn’t gotten dates, but they agreed that if no one asked them in time they’d just go together, which John would make sure he’d video tape. As the months passed though, so did the werewolf nights, which had gotten a whole lot worse when he had to freeze to death beforehand since he didn’t want to ruin his robes. The quidditch team wondered where he went in the middle of practice, but after a while they forgot about his strange actions and focused more on the practice, determined to beat the Slytherins in the upcoming match. John had gotten more used to potions class, Professor Holmes watching him, looking away when he looked back, and overall trying to avoid conversations. John hadn’t gone to any more extra potions, he was far too busy and he just didn’t want to, the one he had was the most awkward experience. Everything seemed to turn out okay for John, and he was completely happy where he was.