Chapter Eighteen

Almost an hour had passed by the time Carmen left the cafe, so she called Amy to let her know about the delay. While the phone was ringing, Carmen made a snap decision and started walking back towards the theater.

"Hey, Amy!" Carmen walked while speaking to Amy. "Sorry I got delayed. Can you just leave the bags with the doorman? I'll pick them up later,"

"You sure you're okay?" Amy asked.

"Yeah, I just have a few things to get done. I'll call you when I get home?"

"Okay," Amy sounded skeptical, but she let Carmen hang up the phone without making a fuss.

Carmen stuffed her phone back into her purse and hurried towards the theater. The second she stepped inside the front door, the lobby cleared. Maybe word had spread of her argument, or maybe the look on her face told them to get out of her way. Either way, she marched right up to the office.

"Hello, Amber." Carmen smiled brightly as she entered the office. "I brought you a cookie. And since this is my last chance to give you one, you have to accept!"

Amber was about to protest until Carmen's words sunk in. "Wait! Why is it your last chance to give me a cookie? Are you leaving us?"

"That's what I'm here to talk to you about," she took a deep breath and sat down in the chair. "I need to lodge a formal complaint against John and resign my position."

Amber gasped and covered her hand with her mouth. "No way!"

Carmen nodded and waited for Amber to bring her the appropriate paperwork.

"I can't believe you're doing this!" Amber handed Carmen a clipboard with several pieces of paper on it.

"I can't either!" Carmen laughed and picked up the pen to get to work on filling out the forms.

The resignation was simple enough, it just required an effective date, reason, and signature.

"I see you've left the reason blank here," Amber had her HR hat on now and was being very professional in her exit interview.

"I think the formal complaint I'm lodging should give everyone a good idea why I'm leaving," Carmen answered as simply as she could.

Amber made a note in the margin before stamping the bottom of the form and initialling that it was received. "Do you want me to get you a copy?" she asked, standing up from her desk.

"Yes, please. Thank you, Amber."

The formal complaint was handled in much the same way, though both the form and the conversation about it took far longer than the resignation had. It turns out there was a lot more to talk about than even Carmen could have imagined.

"So that concludes my questions," Amber finally ended the interview. "Do you have anything else you think we missed that should be added to the complaint?"

Carmen shook her head.

"I'll get you a copy," Amber walked over to the copy machine and pressed some buttons. "I'm going to miss you around here, Carmen. What are you going to do now?"

"I don't know yet, actually," Carmen stood up and took the copies from Amber. "I just know I'm done here."

Amber offered Carmen a hug, tears in her eyes. "I hope you find something just perfect. You deserve it."

"Thanks, Amber. I'll let you know where I land," Carmen smiled and opened the office door. "I'm just glad I only ran into you today." And by that I mean I'm glad John or Phil didn't show up.

Carmen wasted no time leaving the theater after resigning. Pulling out her phone and Eva's business card as soon as her feet hit the sidewalk, she walked home as she dialed the number.

The three rings before Eva answered felt agonizingly slow. Carmen could hear her heart beating in her ears between each ring. She was preparing herself to leave a message when Eva picked up.

"Hello, Eva here."

Carmen's tongue felt like it was stuck in her mouth, every swallow like sandpaper.

"Hello?" Eva asked again.

"Hello, Eva?" Carmen managed to keep her voice steady as she spoke, "It's Carmen Morales."

"Ah, Carmen!" Eva's heels clicked against the floor as she walked through a door into a quieter room. A chair squeaked as she sat down, "What can I do for you?"

Now that she actually had Eva on the phone, she didn't know how to ask what she wanted to know. Trying to get her thoughts together as fast as possible, she asked the first question that came to mind.

"I just wanted to talk to you a bit about what I can expect working for Beaksmith."

Eva's voice audibly brightened as she answered Carmen's question with details about their practice schedules, the creative process, and her particular role. "Does that answer your question?" she asked after finishing her pitch.

"Yes, thanks," Carmen asked the question she wanted to know. "And what are your policies regarding treatment of staff? And how are those policies enforced?"

Eva went quiet for a barely noticeable moment before answering. "Is there something you need help with now?"

"No, thank you," Carmen tried to smile, hoping it would come through in her voice. "I just want to make sure I'm working somewhere with proper policies in place."

Carmen was trying to hide her personal experience, but it was painfully obvious she wasn't just asking random questions. Thankfully, Eva didn't press the issue.

"Absolutely!" she smiled as she spoke, "I'd be happy to send you our existing policies and I'm always happy to hear your thoughts on them if you have any concerns. We do want everyone to be comfortable working here."

How did she get so lucky with Eva as her boss?

"I'd love to take a look at them before I sign my contract," Carmen said, without thinking. "If you are still offering it to me, that is."

"Of course we are," Eva shuffled something that sounded like files. "And Carmen? Welcome to Beaksmith. I'm thrilled you'll be joining us."