chapter 46 ; sickness

Start from the beginning

Patrick gulped heavily, his eyes instantly falling to the ground as he awkwardly fiddled at his shirt. He finally found the courage to squeak, "But, forgive me, with Coda and all, I thought you were married. And, well because I... saw you... in the... showers..."

"Okay," Ellie breathed out quickly, instantly wanting to flee as she found her cheeks flushing a deep red shade, "I have to go on a run, stay safe and you have a good day!"

Ellie instantly darted as rapidly as she could in the direction of the gate, where Daryl's bike had been parked ready for Ellie to join. The group had arranged a quest to scope out the Big Spot, a store in which would be a plentiful supply of essentials. A small group had been prepared to venture on the mission, alongside Ellie and Daryl as they had volunteered willingly to go along. The engine of the bike roared like a beast as Daryl drove down toward the gate, only to be halted by the sight of glistening grins from Rick and Michonne.

"Well, look who's back," Daryl teased Michonne sarcastically, a small smile curling at his lips at the sight.

"Yeah, didn't find him," Michonne sighed bitterly, her eyes twinkling with disappointment.

Ellie scoffed as she shook her head, her eyes rolling involuntarily as she stated, "I think this is over. We handled it. We got him, right?" A silence was her only answer. Ellie's awkward eyes shifted into a squint as she glanced between the trio, until she changed the subject for their benefit. "We're going to the Big Spot."

"The one I was talkin' about," Daryl informed Rick, shooting the leader a quick nod as he averted his gaze down to his lap.

Rick nodded, slithering his arms down to rest his hands on his hips — his classic, signature move. Ellie couldn't help the smile that crept onto her lips as they connected their eyes, both flashing warm smiles at one another. Ellie hadn't quite noticed the gentle blush that twinkled on her cheeks at their innocent encounter. Rick had.

"I'm going, too," Michonne declared, drawing Ellie's eyes from Rick over to her. Ellie blinked repeatedly as she nodded along.

"You just got here!" Carl interjected, a tearful frown decorated on his face at the concept of Michonne leaving once again. They had formed quite the bond since she had moved into the prison.

Michonne flashed a dazzling smile of reassurance to the young boy, "I'm coming back."

"Alright, let's go!" Daryl boomed to the vehicles following behind his motorcycle, and gestured for them to follow.

The roaring of the motorcycle lingered heavily in the air as Ellie clung to Daryl tightly once he had started the motorcycle. Ellie couldn't help but rest her head against the comfort of his jacket, feeling the familiar fabric holding her close in their journey. They shortly arrived at the building, parking the vehicles up alongside one another. Daryl ensured everyone had gathered around in preparation, ensuring to remain silent as they halted. 

"Grab what you can, we'll come back tomorrow with more people," Daryl ordered, displaying his leadership. He then edged closer to Ellie mutter, "Stick with me until it's safe."

For once, Ellie found herself not wanting to battle against his protectiveness, and simply nodded along willingly as she hoisted her gun in the air. They each stepped forth alongside one another, aiming their weapons high as they led the group around the influx of tattered and destroyed tents littering the front of the store. Daryl ushered Ellie ahead, allowing Michonne to fall back to inspect the tents for any potential threats, to find only silence. Daryl leaned against the wall casually as the rest of the group carried out their investigations, allowing a small time frame for Ellie to lean against the same wall, closing the gap between the two.