Chapter Five - Peril

Glory gulped. Peril was dangerous, and if she wanted revenge, she was going to get it. This was all too much. First, her front fangs would be pulled, so no more venom. Next, there was the news of Peril's return! How was that even possible? She remembered too clearly stabbing her in the back with the pole made from neverburn. Glory suddenly felt very weary and collapsed on the cold, stone floor of her cell, falling asleep in seconds.

                                                                                   ~        ~        ~

"Peril! Peril, wait!" Hawk shouted after her. Lucky for him, Peril was still recovering from her terrible morning and possible brush with death. He flew as fast as his wings could carry him and almost lost her when decided to soar through the mountains around boulders and through a canyon. Finally, Peril could fly no more, and she spiraled into a cave. Hawk followed her cautiously.

"What's wrong?" Hawk demanded as he landed next to her, but not too close.

"Who am I?" It was one of the simplest, and most confusing questions Hawk had ever been asked.

"What do you mean?" He questioned, leaning in to make sure he had heard her right.

"Who is Peril?" She looked up at him, her eyes searching his for answers.

"You don't remember?"

"Not anything since waking up on the piles of dead dragon bones this morning." She replied, shivering at the thought of ever going back there.

"Well, she -- you -- were the queen's champion. You were born with too much fire and..."

"Wait a second, too much fire?" She tried again to blow fire, but not even a flicker of a flame would present itself. Peril peered back at Hawk. His mouth was wide open in shock.

"But, that's impossible! You have no fire now? None at all?" She shook her head miserably.

"You could burn dragons from the slightest touch, but now it doesn't seem like you would even warm them. Not that we would have a way to test --" Peril flicked her tail against his before he could protest. He yelped in surprise, but when he examined it closely, there was not a single burn mark. He carefully stepped towards Peril. Then one more. Now there was only a foot between their snouts. He reached out and touched her talons. Cold. One might even guess she was an IceWing.

Peril scooted away and coughed a little. Hawk's face turned a deeper red than his scales and he moved away as well.

"How did I die?" Peril asked innocently. Hawk was reluctant to answer. It wasn't like he cared for the RainWing, but he knew the colorful dragon had only attacked in self-defense, and he didn't want to cause an unnecessary death. If Queen Scarlet hasn't killed her already, that is.

"Glory the RainWing. She was the one who killed you."