Chapter Four - Fire Extinguished

Peril woke up again, feeling a lot more energized. What is going on? She was still a little dizzy after passing out from exhaustion. She slowly got to her feet and looked around at her surroundings for the first time since waking. There were dragon bones everywhere. Some of the dragons had died recently and currently hosted several vultures feasting on a free meal. Peril felt like vomiting.

Why am I here? I didn't die, so why would I have woke up here? It just didn't add up. She took a risk and jumped into the sky. Her wings were shaky, but she was flying! Peril wasn't sure if she would have the strength, but apparently her nap had helped more than she had thought at first.

Now, what should I do? She wondered before spotting a red and gold dragon that looked as if it was standing guard. She flew as fast as her tired wings could carry her. Finally, she stood in front of the dragon. A SkyWing guard name Gale. Another random memory she had from the past.

"Excuse me, but can you tell me where..." The dragon had yelped in fright as if he had seen a ghost and quickly got out of her way.

"If you won't help me, then I'll go ask someone else," Peril snorted in annoyance. She was just asking! After a moment of gaping at her, the SkyWing blinked once and bolted towards the palace. It's freezing out here! She thought trying to breathe a plume of fire. Not even a plume of smoke came from her nostrils. I guess I'm too cold, Peril shrugged

She flew closer to the palace, sometimes through crowds of dragons. Once she heard a dragon shout "Ghost!" Peril had looked around in fear until she realized other dragons were pointing at her. Every dragon was careful to move out of her way.

"I'm not a ghost!" She shouted angrily. "Here, touch my arm and see for yourself." She reached out her arm to a young dragonet and soon figured out this was a mistake. The dragon's mother hissed at her and quickly snatched the wide-eyed dragonet away from her outstretched arm.

"You monster," Peril heard another dragon mumble under his breath.

"Who called me a monster!" She roared. All but one dragon scrambled out of the way.

"Me." It was Hawk, a dragon about Peril's age. She had had a huge crush on this dragon in her younger years, but for some reason, Peril couldn't recall ever going near him.

"Why did you just call me a monster?" Peril hissed, taking one step towards Hawk. He flinched but stood his ground.

"Do you know how many dragons you have murdered? How many lives you have taken with just the touch of your claw?"

Peril closed her eyes and steadied herself. When she opened her mouth to speak, but no words would leave her. There were words going through her head, however. Murderer and killer rang particularly loudly in her head. She didn't remember anything like that. Or do I?

She tried to search through her memories. First, there was nothing. Then something inside her stirred. The smell of burning scales. Dragons screaming. Dying even.

She couldn't take it. Peril snapped open her wings and took off into the sky. Tears streaming down her face.

                                                                                   ~        ~        ~

"Queen Scarlet!" One of her guards came rushing into her throne room, bowing low to the ground. "Your Majesty, you won't believe it.!"

"Yes. What is it, Gale?" Scarlet demanded. She wasn't scared of what the dragon might say. A queen must never show weakness. She was curious, however.

Gale's eyes traveled from the floor, landing on Queen Scarlet. "It's Peril, Your Highness. She's back."

The guard took a step back just in case, but Scarlet just sat there, her mouth open in disbelief.

                                                                                  ~        ~         ~

The news of Peril's return traveled through the kingdom of Sky quickly. Even into the depths of the dungeons.

Glory's guard came to check on his prisoner, and make sure she was still there. Glory stared at him, hopeful of any news from the outside.

"You'll like what I have to tell you RainWing." Glory had gotten used to being called "RainWing" instead of her real name.

"Peril is back from the dead, and I reckon she'll want revenge."