The Stand-Off

The humid stench of the room crept into Lucinda's nose but it would not break her concentration. She was determined to keep the gun aimed at Vengolio, who was aiming his Glock at Anton.

"Vengo, put the gun down!", Lucinda spat through her teeth, "It's not his fault she died, the job was a set-up, there's nothing he could have done."

Her voice echoed through the empty warehouse. It was so big, it took time for the echo to reach her. For a moment there was absolute silence. None of them were breathing. Lucinda began to analyze the situation: Vengolio was unstable, he lost his girlfriend a mere hour ago, he would probably kill Anton. Anton got shot in the right leg and was therefore incapacitated. He would not be able to disarm Vengolio.

"It's up to me," Lucinda muttered to herself.

"What?" Vengolio asked.

Lucinda pulled the trigger once. And a second time. Vengolio hit the ground with a resounding thud, which echoed throughout the warehouse.

Lucinda heard her heart beat at lightspeed and focused on it until the adrenaline kicked in.

"Anton, let's move, the cops will be here any second", Lucinda said in a cold and authoritative voice.

Anton took Vengolio's gun and limped towards the exit while Lucinda ran ahead to find a clear route. They managed to get to an oak tree on a hill next to the warehouse when Lucinda stopped, turned to Antonio and said, "I think we made it!"