Chapter 3

The two humans and the Incubus now sat in silence in the living room. The only light on being a lamp that helped illuminate the room well enough, and the only sounds being a ticking clock and a thundering of Kyleroth's heartbeat as he looked at the coffee table and avoided eye contact. The two women were sitting opposite him on the same couch, which formed an angular U with its design with the coffee table in the middle. They had actually offered him a seat there, which he timidly thanked them for.

        When he finally gathered enough courage to make eye contact, he was surprised to see both were looking at him, and with a great deal of interest. The one called Stella seemed the most interested, despite sitting in an extremely relaxed pose that would probably be seen by some as slovenly and inappropriate, given how her legs were slightly spread and she leaned back against the back of the couch. The one called Paige was quite different. While she seemed interested as well, she still seemed rather cautious about his presence. Not nearly as hostile as she was before, but it was clear her guard was not completely down. She was sitting more lady-like than Stella, with her back straight, legs closed together, and her hands in her lap.

        Noticing that Kyleroth had finally looked up, Stella smiled and finally spoke, breaking the five minute silence that had befallen them after the all sat down.

        "So, Kyleroth... maybe we should finally introduce ourselves," she said as she sat up properly now, though not as properly as Paige, "Estella Moreau, but everyone calls me Stella. Pleasure to meet you."

        "And I am Paige Krasiński, librarian by trade. I am also pleased to meet you... I suppose," Paige said. She was not harsh or disgusted in how she said supposed, but merely someone who was still trying to grasp the situation they were currently in, having what she originally thought was a demon sitting in their apartment like a guest.

       Kyleroth started to feel a lot less intimidated now that he knew their names.

       "Th-Thank you. I'm glad you decided to trust me with knowing you names," he said with a very faint smile. Stella smiled back.

       "Well, now that we got that out of the way, tell us something: Where are you from?"

       "Yes! I'm actually interested to hear this myself," Paige said, readjusting her glasses. The two of them were now leaning forward a bit towards him, starring at him with unblinking gazes. Which returned to intimidating Kyleroth, though not as bad as before.

       "Well... you see, my clan are actually from a place called Ripper's Reef," he answered.

       "Ripper's Reef?" Paige repeated, surprised.

       "The reef that's around seventy miles off of the coast what many ships avoid because it has a habit of sinking them?" Stella asked.

        "A-Actually, it is only sixty-six miles away," Kyleroth corrected with a nervous smile.

        "Interesting... and you had a community there?" Paige asked him.

        "Yes. A whole clan of Incubi and Succubi," he answered.

        "A whole clan of those living out on a reef? Exposed like that?" Stella asked, "But then again, no one has ever reported seeing anything living around Double-R..."

        "Oh, that is because we keep it hidden," Kyleroth said, "There is actually an old fortress from the colonial era on it that we made into our home when we arrived here around one hundred an fifty years ago."

         The two women exchanged a glance with each other, both wide eyed at this bit of information, before looking back at the Incubus.

        "How come no one sees it though?" Stella asked.