Chapter 12

Over the next week I gradually got the feeling back in my body, Warren was with me every day, never letting anyone else see him accept me or Marcus. He looked after me and helped me get back to full health. He was very careful, and maybe a little too overprotective, but he was incredibly sweet. He had new flowers in my room every second day and hand fed me because I couldn’t move my arms to feed myself until two days ago. I’ve actually never felt better.

I also know that I do love Warren, but I’m too afraid to tell him. I’m still not one-hundred per cent sure I could live with a man like him. His temper is something to be reckoned with and his strength knows no bounds. I also don’t have the courage to ask if Evalina is still alive…

That woman haunts my dreams.

I’ve managed to tip-toe down the stairs without anyone noticing, Warren needed a toilet break and I saw the opportunity for escape, well… independence.

I make it to the overly large dining room and open the door on the other side which leads to the kitchen. Aha! I need some solid food, I’m sick of soup. Bread will be great, with a thin spread of butter, I love the way they make it here and I think I’m addicted to the softness and delicious taste. I walk through the kitchen, it’s big, no one is in here and it looks like it hasn’t been used at all. I eventually find the bread and the butter. I munch on one slice while spreading the other. I put everything back and head back to the dining room with my bread but the door is slammed open. A frantic Warren without his cape on scans the room before they land on me and he visibly relaxes. “I could have got you some bread beauty, you need to rest,” he scolds and scoops me up before I can protest. The halls must have been empty when he came down, because now there is a maid cleaning the floor right at the bottom of the stairs

He stumbles and his grip around me tightens almost painfully. I wrap my arms tight around his neck and hide his face with my hair, knowing what will happen. It's like watching a disaster in slow motion. She turns, immediately becoming wide eyed. Her mouth opens and I prepare for a scream, but all I hear are weird, chocking noises. She's deathly pale, gaping like a fish. This is worse than screaming; it looks like she is going into shock. Warren growls, which just makes her whimper and suddenly break down sobbing, begging for her life. What on earth is this woman thinking? "MARCUS!" Warren roars, making my ears ring. 

Marcus comes within seconds and helps the maid away, but not before she screamed "monster" and I watch it hit him like a bullet. He takes me back to the room and but he has shut down emotionally, wondering off somewhere wearing his cloak. He doesn't come back at all that day, and I miss him, especially after spending so much time with him during this past week. I feel I can finally make that judgement I was supposed to make before I stubbornly left. 

My poor Warren who hates himself so much. I suppose I would hate to be seen as well, but he even hid from me, like he thought I saw him as a monster.

I could never see him as monster, not anymore.

The sun gradually set and I busied myself with a romance book. Papa came in with dinner and we ate together, but he had been in the village tending the farm all day so he was sleepy and left early. 

I was so engrossed in my book I hadn't noticed Warren had come back; he was illuminated by the almost full moon. "You're back!" I smile, yet he's still covered in that damn cloak. "Warren you can take that off in here," I mention for him to sit on the bed with me, it’s out usual ritual now; we sit and read to each other, he has a truly amazing collection of books.

"I'm going away for a couple of days." He says. My smile drops and a sense of foreboding fills me. 

"Why?" I look up, knowing my eyes are watering. I have no idea why this pain emerges whenever we are too far apart, but the fact that it hurt just at the thought of him going is extremely worrying, we’ve become so close this past week, I want him to myself for a little longer.