Chapter 8

The next day Warren was nowhere to be seen; even the employees were beginning to get concerned. It was apparently usual for the Prince to go out at dawn, but it is now dinner time and he has not returned. Marcus questioned me like I was a criminal, when did I last see him? What did he say? He had sent out the other guards - who I did not know lived here – on a search in the woods. It was heart-warming to see the loyalty in all their eyes.

He even missed our three hour period, which hurt. I wish it didn’t, but I thought he would be just as excited as I was, now I just feel rejected, which is stupid because it’s not like we are together. Could we be together even though he is not human? 

I was nibbling on a warm piece of bread, savouring the flavours of the seasoning the cook had topped it with when Marcus strides in. He has been driving me crazy, breathing down my neck constantly watching everything I do. I find it ludicrous that he could blame me for the Prince’s sudden disappearance. 

“Esme, how is the food?” He asks, sitting next to me. 

“It’s delicious.” I smile. What is he going to accuse me of next? He was in his armour, it glistened in the candle light showing how well polished it was. His sword was at his belt, nestled safely in its scabbard. Even his boots and hands were well armoured. It appeared to be gold, but I only knew how to farm, so I could be wrong and it could just be coloured to look gold. He watched me as I bite and chew, as if it was the most fascinating this in the world.

“The Prince has returned, he wants to see you.” He frowns. Ah, so your suspicions were wrong and now you’re angry. I will not lie; it is satisfying to prove him wrong.

“I will go up now, thank you.” I stand up and tuck the chair neatly under the table. Marcus copies my movements and nods his head, striding in the opposite direction. The hurt I had felt from earlier returned, he better have an explanation for scaring everyone like that. I climb the many stairs to Warren’s hideout; I knock and without waiting for an answer, walk in to the darkness.

“Warren?” I take a few steps forward, trying to find something to hold onto, instead a big, warm hand wraps around my hand, sending to my chest. He pulls me until I am pressed against his chest, his heart beats against my cheek. He bends his head so his forehead rests against my shoulder, he breathes slowly and deeply, as he is he savouring the moment.

“Hello… Esme.” I gasp, I never told him my name, is that what he has been doing? Trying to find out my name? Don’t flatter yourself Esme. He nuzzles my neck, making me forget what I was worried about. “I apologise for missing our time to spend together, but I had something I needed to do.” He speaks quietly, yet his voice still held the same power it always does due to the stern undertone. It made you want to fall to your knees.

His nuzzling continues. “Ok…” I sigh pleasurably. He does something to me, his touch is electric. For someone clearly so strong, he is so gentle with me. I feel an arm snake around my knees and lift me. I quickly wrap my arms around his abnormally thick neck. The fur is very thick and long here like on the top of his head. He thumps his way through the darkness, zig-zagging to avoid invisible objects. I just cling to him, trusting him not to drop me or bump into any objects. Eventually he sets me on the bed, the mattress was better than the one in the room I was staying in, this one seemed like it rocked you to sleep. The mattress dips and groans when Warren sits down, and I roll in his direction against my will. Add extremely heavy to his list of abnormalities.

“If you could have anything in this world, what would it be?” Warren asks his voice was still soft. 

“Well, I love my papa, so perhaps some place where we can both be comfortable. Just… relax and do things together. He took me to this apple orchard two days travel from here when I was eleven, I’d love to go back.” I sigh, it was a happy memory, and I wanted to share it with Warren. He shifts, presumably to face me.