.34.

THE PUNCHING BAG RATTLED UNDER HER GLOVED FIST. The sound echoed through the gym, chains clinking together in an oddly soothing way. She was tired, as her sore arms continuously reminded her, but she kept going. It was different, not using her Quirk against the punching bag. It was becoming clear just how much she'd come to rely on her shields. Another thing to work on.

Bakugo sat on a bench nearby, waiting for her to finish up. A smug look had wormed its way onto his face after he defeated her in a mock-battle earlier, darn those beautiful explosions of his, and it stayed there for the entire evening. Kendria didn't really care, letting him have his pride as she moved on to the punching bag. He said he was going to win, back when we all decided to train together, she reminded herself, ignoring his grin.

She stopped the swinging bag and pulled off her boxing gloves, flexing her fingers. The gym owners were kind enough to allow her and Bakugo to use the facilities, despite it being a Sunday. It was just the two of them this time. She was fine with that, just surprised that he even agreed to train with her off-the-clock.

Kendria had been trying to find something to occupy her time, mind racing at the thought of the Sports Festival only a few days away and the fact that she was just sitting there doing nothing. Her uncle said nothing as she paced back and forth, sat down and stood back up, content to pet their cat and watch her fidget. Finally she sent out a message in Ashido's group-chat, asking if anyone wanted to fit in some extra training. Everyone politely declined, seeing as it was the agreed upon "day off". And then Bakugo, of all people, replied "k" and arrived at her doorstep fifteen minutes later.

Uncle Shota pulled him aside, giving the boy a talk that ended with, "Get home safe, both of you." She wanted to roll her eyes until she remembered that oh, yes, she had been seriously injured not too long ago. Bakugo gave a sharp nod and mumbled "yessir", glancing from her uncle to the door.

She slung her bag over her shoulder, giving her uncle a quick hug. It was something she was trying, after the whole thing with Mitsuki Bakugo, and she told herself she aught to be able to hug her uncle if she could hug her friend's mother. Uncle Shota was surprised, at first, but was getting used to it as slowly as she was.

"We'll be fine," she said, pulling on her shoes and stepping outside with a quick goodbye. With Bakugo next to her, she had no worries as they made their way to the gym.

With a deep breath, she decided she was done with exercise for the night and joined Bakugo on the bench. He tossed her a water bottle as she sat down. "You didn't bring one, idiot," he grunted at her questioning look. Kendria shrugged and drank, pulling her thoughts together as Bakugo shoved his gym clothes into his duffel bag. By now it was routine: train, change into fresh clothes in the respective locker rooms, then go home.

She sighed and redid her ponytail, blonde wisps curling around her ears. "Thank you." Bakugo raised an eyebrow. "For joining me. I just ... needed to do something, with how close the Sports Festival is. I don't think Uncle Shota would've let me go alone, not after the USJ." She shook her head, chasing away fleeting thoughts of the hand-man and her bloodied shield and how it turned red -- Another sip of water. "It's more fun this way, too, having such a strong friend to work with."

He scoffed. "This doesn't make us friends, Smith." Yet she could hear in his voice how pleased he was at being called strong. And she knew for a fact that he called only his friends by their names, as he had started to do with Kirishima and the others every now and then. Come to think of it, Kendria was the only one he didn't use nicknames for at the moment.