“Is there anything else?” He sounded eager to know, as if it was just as important to him.

“Well, as much as I would like to believe in true love, all the evidence I have goes against it, but finding that special someone sounds just as perfect.” I think of the way my mother left my papa to raise me all on his own. He said he loved her, and I think he still does, but she must not love him if she left. He refuses to seek another, even though everyone keeps telling him I need a mother figure. I disagree; my papa has done well to give me everything I need.

“You don’t believe in soul mates!” He croaks, he sounded horrified. 

“I didn’t say that. Perhaps my soul mate is out there, how long will it take me to find him? Days? Years? I have to get on with my life, and maybe I’ll be lucky one day and meet him.” I smile softly. I wish I could see him, or do I really? He has pointed ears… What would his face actually look like?

“Maybe you will…” He murmurs. I rest my head on the pillow, thinking deeply about what he said. Could I have a soul mate out there? It could be just pure luck to find someone you get along so well with. My thoughts drift back to papa, I do hope he is ok, he must be worried sick. “What are you thinking about?” Warren lies down next to me and pulls me to his chest which I cannot help but snuggle in to.

“My papa, he must be so worried.” He remains silent, just keeping his arms around me.

“Whatever you want.” He whispers. I feel my eye lids get heavy, his chest was so warm and being within his arms makes me feel so safe, I fear I may never want to leave.

-----------------

I wake to angry voices arguing in the other room. Since I cannot see anything I can’t go and check it out. So I try to listen from the bed. One voice clearly belongs to Warren; his deep growly voice is unmistakeable. The other one is quieter but definitely masculine. It’s hard to make out what exactly it is they are saying, but whoever it is, they are making Warren very angry, the furniture vibrated with the strength of his emotions. His growls were probably heard from the village. My curiosity about what they were talking about just grew.

“SHE IS STAYING!” Warren roars, making me jump. His voice caused fear to seep in to my veins. It was pure authority and something else, something no one would want to face. A whimper came from the direction the voices had been only moments ago. It was a whimper of pain. I felt helpless. 

“Warren?” My voice wobbles. A loud thump followed by a grunt echoed in the dark room. His footsteps pound in my direction, in fear I push myself as far back into the headboard as I can. 

“Beauty...” His voice sounds strained.

“Who was that?” My voice comes out as a hoarse whisper, the strange feeling still radiated from him, warning me to be cautious.

“No one.” He growls again, getting infuriated at just my mention of whoever it was. I tuck myself into a ball; my brain is stupid if it thinks this will help. “Please do not fear me, I could never hurt you.” He pleads. His hands wrap around my upper arms and lift me, causing my legs to hang on the side of his thigh and my right side to be squished his chest, not once did his long claw like nails touch me. I could feel his heart slow down when I relaxed my muscles, as if we were in tune. 

“Why were you so angry?” I shiver, remembering the way he spoke. I hope whoever was on the other side is ok.

“An idiot is who made me angry.” He grumbles. Silence follows his statement. A strange feeling twirls inside of me, frustration. Why won’t he let me see him? Why won’t he tell me who it actually was? Why can’t I go home?

“Ok, can you take me to the door please?” I feel him stiffen and his hands tighten their grip around me.

“Why?” He asks. He knows why, he is just delaying the inevitable. Why is he so fascinated with me? Why am I so fascinated with him? So many questions! It’s beginning to drive me crazy.

“I want to go back to my home. Oh sorry… Shack.” I spit and he physically flinches. 

“What about the three hours and night? What about judging me?” His breath tickles my neck. They are very good questions, I just don’t think I have the will power to deal with this right now. I am weak. Pathetic. I don’t belong in a place like Blackmoor. 

“Fine, you are a secretive being with a short temper.” 

“Being? Is that what you call me?” He speaks softly again. I hate it when he does this, he sounds impossibly vulnerable. His head lowers on to my shoulder, where he seems to like settling. 

“Warren, don’t talk like that.” I sigh and run my hands through my hair. Another thing I don’t think I can stand for much longer is the darkness. I hate it. My eyes ache due to constantly straining, trying to catch a glimpse of something.

“I… wish I could tell you beauty.” 

“But you can Warren! And why do you call me beauty?” I am hardly beautiful; I am thin, malnourished, and plain. 

“Because you are the most beautiful being I have ever come across.”

He said it so bluntly, that I almost choked on my saliva. “How can you see in this darkness?” He chuckles at my attempt to change the subject.

“I have pointed ears, and fur all over me and you question my eye sight?” He sounds baffled, which is understandable when he puts it into that perspective.

“Well… it was just a question.” I blush, for once thankful for the darkness. He chest rumbles and his arms tighten around me.

“You can’t take compliments very well, can you?” 

“No, no one has ever told me a compliment apart from papa, unless it is about how well I work or something.” I mumble. I don’t like the direction this conversation is going in.

I guess beasts do have feelings.

BeastOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara