Am I seriously hearing what I'm hearing right now? Please, someone, tell me this isn't true. Tell me this is a dream.... How can we choose between her and our child? Even if Dianne may die shortly after being saved, by choosing to let go of one right now is the same as murder!

Empty minded, I shoved the nurse out of my way and stumbled into the operation room, feeling weaker than ever.

"We'll choose Dianne," I heard her mom say. "Just do it! Save my daughter, hurry!" Sobs broke out, and she blew her nose with a tissue.

"Alright, so we'll kill the baby." My eyes widened at those words. What are they saying? Kill the baby? Our baby? That's all we have left. That's the only memory of Dianne we have left. It's the beautiful miracle we made. Our memories, everything. All hope is stored in that tiny little body. Dianne may not have long left, but the baby has a whole life to live...

Before I realized, a loud voice broke out, silencing the room.

"No, Save the baby." It took me a while to understand that it was my own voice. I had spoken my thoughts out loud subconsciously...

Instantly, all eyes turned to me. "Please, I beg of you. Mr. and Mrs. Parker. Save our child. Dianne... She would've wanted that too... I'm sure."

Me and her mom locked eyes for a few seconds, before her face scrunched up into a bitter scowl.

"How dare you. You little dirty piece of shit! You want to kill my daughter to save the little rat you made with her?" She spat at me, with all the hatred she could possibly muster. "How would you know what she would have wanted. What do you know about her?"

"Please, I beg of you..." I pleaded, not backing down.

"You little-" she screamed at me, but was silenced by her husband's hand.

Dianne's father looked at me, before nodding and turning to the doctor. "The baby's life is priority. I'll sign it."

I could see Dianne's mom widen her eyes in horror. "What the fuck?!" Angry that she didn't get her way, she aggressively yanked the pen out of her partner's hand. "What the hell is wrong with you? Listening to what some kid says? What about your daughter, huh?" As if that wasn't enough, she grabbed his arm and forcefully began yanking at it, as if it were the rope in "tug of war". "How dare you do this! You little useless fucker! You-"

A sharp smack rung through the air, sending vibrations throughout the long hallways, echoing gently. A look of disgust and fury was planted on the middle-aged man's wrinkled face, as his shaky hand was held in midair. The slap had instantly silenced her, and she was rubbing at the spot, with her face towards the ground.

He gently took the pen out of her hand and signed the sheet. Then, after the doctors had returned back into the room, he turned to face me.

"Cole Mathews." I jumped slightly at the mention of my name.

"Yes?"

"Thank you," he smiled gently at me. This was unexpected.... "Thank you, for showing my daughter happiness. I'm truly greatful. I used to hate you, because I feel that you robbed her of everything... But now, I finally realized.... You didn't rob her, but instead you gave her something we could never give her- true happiness. Not only that, you gave her a present. The baby in her womb right now, that's what's left of her. That's why we must cherish the baby. Dianne will be gone, even if we save her today. If the baby dies too, there will be nothing left of her. So thank you, Cole. Thank you. Thank you for making me realize before it was too late."

***

So here I am, right now, with my arms around the little angel heaven gave to me. Tears of mixed emotions tumbling down my cheeks. If only these tears could wash out my sorrow, my despair. I didn't get to see her one last time... Dianne had passed. I'm by her bed, on my knees. Her lifeless and cold body stayed still as ever. I couldn't stop the flow of my tears no matter how desperately I tried... She was gone, the one and only person I truly loved my whole life.... Dianne, she's gone. All those memories and times we've spend have faded to ash. Once again, just like months ago, I'm kneeling by her bed, crying for all I'm worth. I'm crying till my tears are dry. The only difference, is that last time I was empty handed. This time, I'm not alone.

The pinkish baby boy is alive, and with me. Our child is here with me. I could feel the warmth of the small and fragile human in my hands. A few more tears rolled down my face. This time, they were tears of joy and relief.

The baby began to wail as well, with little droplets wetting his chubby face. It was as if our emotions synched with one another. Together, we cried.

We cried to moan Dianne's death.

But we also cried to celebrate this new beginning....

***

Btw I'm working on a sequel, featuring the baby's life growing up... Anyone interested?