"No, I think today is a perfect day for a picnic, Ella." Lucretia pulled them onto the blanket. "We're celebrating Gryffindor's victory."

"And what would a celebration be without quidditch players." Ignatius wrapped his arms around Lucretia's back.

"Septimus," greeted Cedrella with a smile. Septimus leaned down to brush a kiss across Cedrella's mouth.

"Maybe I should leave." Hermione felt as if she didn't belong, not among these happy couples when she was currently dateless. She didn't even have someone there to talk to!

"What am I, invisible?"

Hermione's head whipped around to find a smirking Riddle. Why was he there?

"Your welcome," Ignatius whispered into her ear.

You've got to be kidding! They thought she had a crush on Riddle!

"Why did you come?" hissed Hermione quietly, not wanting to disturb the others.

Riddle shrugged before whispering back to her while wearing that annoying smirk. "It sounded like fun, also, I knew it would irk you."

Hermione gritted her teeth before turning her face away from him. The others had started gathering dishes out of the basket and were passing around food. Hermione made herself a plate just to keep herself preoccupied. Riddle leaned over her to grab a plate. His leg brushed against hers. The contact caused her face to warm. She must be losing her mind if Riddle was able to conjure feelings within her. Her heart berated her body for betraying all the years worth of feelings that she had for Ron.

Ron.

She hadn't thought about him in a while. Harry and Ron had been on her thoughts a lot less these past few weeks.

After they finished eating, Septimus cleared his throat. He turned to face Cedrella. "I guess it's time for the real reason for everyone gathering here today." Cedrella gave him a puzzled expression but didn't say anything.

Septimus reached into his back pocket and pulled out a small, black box eliciting a gasp from Cedrella. "My beautiful, kind Ella. Would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?" He flipped open the box to reveal a simple silver band.

"Nothing much, is it," whispered Riddle, his breath warm against her ear.

"Shh!" She elbowed him in the side.

"Yes!" Cedrella cried, jumping onto Septimus while kissing his face with little butterfly kisses. Before long, those small butterfly kisses turned into something more steamy.

"Well, I believe it's time to take my leave," said Riddle. "Would you like to accompany me?" He asked Hermione.

She really didn't want to leave with Riddle but one look at the happy couples told her that it was best if she left. She nodded and allowed him to help her stand.

They walked in silence. The crisp air turning chillier as the moon crept farther up into the sky.

"Hopefully, they'll make it back before curfew," said Hermione out loud.

"I think that is the last thing on their minds," chuckled Riddle.

Hermione stopped walking so that she could stare at him. It was strange to see this side of Lord Voldemort. She didn't trust it.

"What are you playing at?" asked Hermione skeptically.

Riddle paused to look at her. When she shivered, he placed his scarf over her shoulders. "I told you before. I'm after your friendship."

"Why?"

Riddle sighed in frustration. "I've told you already."

"I don't believe you. There has to be another reason why you're doing this."

Riddle turned away from her and stuffed his hands into her pockets. "What would make you believe me?"

Hermione guwaffed. "Nothing," she said a little less bitterly than she thought she would have.

"What if I undo the memory charm Abraxas placed on himself?"

Hermione felt her heart flutter at the thought of receiving her old friend back.

"No," admitted Hermione truthfully. "He only did it to himself because he couldn't live with the pain. I couldn't hurt him like that again."

Riddle looked at her with a piercing gaze. "I'll never understand this friend thing."

Hermione sighed as Dumbledore's words from earlier floated through her mind. She forced a smile onto her face. "I guess I should help you with that."

Riddle looked at her with hopeful eyes. "Why do you look like you want to do the opposite?"

Because she wanted to!

Instead, Hermione shook her head. "I hated you when I first arrived. You have to give me time."

Riddle gave curt nod. "Duly noted."