Chapter Five

The revelation seemed anticlimactic, but not entirely odd, given the circumstances.

Although too many coincidences were getting to their heads, their rational thoughts were intact, and they knew that they needed to find shelter for the night.

It took a lot of convincing from Hope, but MG reluctantly obliged to compel them into hotel rooms.
He even managed to shut the receptionist up when he  started about the company he kept.

''Looks like these times are safe for neither of us,'' Hope complained as she stepped into her room.

They'd compelled the receptionist for two separate keys and Hope was grateful to finally feel a little less frantic than she had all day.
She fell back onto the bed, her feet hovering above the floor.

She'd never wondered what the air smelled like back in the thirties, but this room smelled odd and it definitely lacked that woodsy scent that she loved back at the Salvatore school. It had been less than a day, but she found that she missed home already.

''So, no internet,'' MG barged into the room to disrupt her peace and tranquillity, ''How exactly do you expect us to look into a God's story?''

''Ever heard of books?'' she asked as she sat up, turning the bedside lamp on.

''I doubt there are any grimoires around.''

''That's where you're wrong,'' Hope stood up, a sheet of paper in her hands. ''I know for a fact that there's a whole coven of witches in New Orleans. And they'd be more than willing to help out a fellow witch.''

''We're going to New Orleans?'' MG frowned, eyeing her as she scribbled down on the paper.

''Not exactly.'' she whispered a spell and with a snap of her fingers, the crumpled ball disappeared. ''We should get an answer soon. In the meantime, let's get something to eat. I'm starving.''

''So am I,'' MG wailed as he fell into step behind her.

They walked downstairs, earning them a few curious glances, but the majority of the compound had already been compelled not to ask questions.

''You think room service has bunny blood?''

''I doubt it.''

Together, they walked out and toward the crowded street.
The alley was just as loud as earlier, but Hope almost found reassurance in it, the busy street reminding her of those of New Orleans.

''Any restaurants around? I'd rather be honest now though, I'm not compelling anyone else.''
Hope cast him a pointed look as her stomach grumbled and he let out a heavy sigh.
''Fine. This once, only.''

But she knew it wouldn't be the last time that she got him to comply.

After roaming the streets for another few minutes, they found a decent spot and settled down. The restaurant was busy, but not so much that they'd feel cramped.
A light piano air was playing and flickering lights were trickling overhead.

After placing their order, MG looked around the room.

''Everything is so different,'' he started, ''I like it.''

''Me too. I think.''

She almost found reassurance in the fact that she was in a stranger's land.
Even though she was proud of her heritage, there was something cozy about the situation. As of this moment, no one knew her as the tribrid, the great evil's daughter. Right this instant, she was just a girl enjoying herself with a friend.
And though time travel was a bit much, it had got her to loosen up in ways that she'd never thought possible before.