"You like a bunch of dead trees?" I question, watching warily as he drags a finger between the rivets of the trunk of a tree, pulling it back to show me the creamy mix of ash. I'm trusting him, believing that this isn't going to kill me. For all I know, he could be immune to this, and in five years, I'll feel the affects of this devastating landscape.

"Well, listen," he breathes, encourage quiet from me.

"For?"

"The silence. It's quiet here, no birds, no wind. Just peace, in this odd world of death brought by one misused weapon of war," he murmurs.

My throat goes dry, my suspicions of Tai increasing with every word from his mouth. He's awfully strange, I realise. Enjoying this death world with weightless ash dancing aimlessly with the gentle exhale of the wind, with trembling white-gold light that struggles through the thick canopy of papery leaves above us. If I wasn't beyond creeped out before, I surely am now.

"I don't think I like it. War is never peaceful, and the consequences of it are devastating," I remind him, my father and his patriotism glowering at me from within my mind.

Tai walks backwards with graceful ease, ash kicking up to land below the knees of his dark pants. "True. But I don't ever get much peace in my role as King. This is all I get.

Sad. His world is sad.

He seems to read my expression. "I don't expect you to feel sorry for me, Akara. That's not why I brought you out here."

Wrapping my arms around myself, I wander after him, down a shallow slope, through a forest that refuses to change no matter how far we walk. The eerie, resonating feeling that hangs low throughout this forest has me shivering.

I watch Tai, the way he walks, with feline grace, the muscles under his shirt shifting as he looks up above the canopy, at the indigo sky beyond. His intentions are still an alluring mystery, with him bringing me out here, where I'm alone and vulnerable. He could kill me, leave me in this hidden graveyard which could be miles away from my home, to never be found.

Yet he keeps walking, unbothered and hardly what I would call intimidating.

"Why did you bring me out here, then?" I try, matching his step beside him. His stare dips to meet mine, flickering with a genuine warmth that surprises me.

"I don't want you to fear me. I don't want you to think I'm going to force you to do anything." How could I not think that? He's keeping me here against my will. Despite his supposed desire to give me the best option he could, I have no doubt it is in his power to have me released without the public becoming aware.

"You're forcing me to be here. To keep you company, or whatever," I mutter. Suddenly, Tai comes to a stop, pulling his arm up. "Woah. What's wrong?"

"Vaia is distressed. She's looking for me back at the manor," he mutters, eyebrows furrowing. Frowning, I look around for the source of this information, and for the reason why a dark shadow has cast itself across his face.

"How can you tell?"

"I have a device. We need to go," he mutters, turning around to grab my wrist. His touch makes me flinch, the heat of his hand burning into my skin.

"Another one? Woah..."

Before I can finish my sentence, my eyes close, and not by my own violation. When I open them again, I'm standing in the main-room of Taius's estate, and Vaia is standing only a few feet away.

Immediately her distraught expression catches my attention, a piece of paper in her hand trembling. From what I've seen of Tai's sister, she has only ever been arrogant and unbothered. I never thought I would see her truly scared.

"Vaia....what's going on?" Tai questions.

Still reeling from the sudden change of location, I nearly miss Tai's concerned tone, another expression of vulnerability that I wasn't expecting from the King.

Vaia thrusts the paper into his grasp. "This letter came. The Nobles are coming."

Upon her words, a glacial coolness settles over the room, the gentle plash of the nearby fountain being the only sound in the room. Tai's expression impassive, although the darkness that threatens beneath is unmistakable. The gentle, doting man who lead me through the forest only moments is gone, replaced by the ruler I've been so frightened of.

No one speaks, so I find myself doing so. "Can I ask what that means?"

"Nobles, my fathers stupid self-titled friends who think they can come here whenever they please, pick apart my entire reign, just to get in my fathers good graces," Tai mutters, the growl laced within chilling my blood.

"I'm leaving...I'm not staying around to be bullied by them," Vaia growls, although the edge of her voice quivers. In a flurry of crimson silk fabric and brunette hair, Vaia rushes off up the sweeping stairwell, leaving me gaping in her wake. If these Noble's are frightening enough to have Vaia packing her bags to make a mistake, I surely don't want to be here. Although it's not like I get much of a choice.

"What do we do?" I ask nervously.

Tai's mouth settles into a grim line. "I'll hold a dinner, we will be nice, and hope they leave with nothing interesting enough to tell my father."

💙••💙

If you guys want to read ahead, you can read more of KING'S POSSESSION on Radish! It's chapters ahead of Wattpad (:

💎••💎

Hope you guys enjoyed!
Let me know what you think (:

Hope you guys enjoyed!Let me know what you think (:

🐼••🐼

Hope you enjoyed!!!

Instagram: Sophie_Midika

~Midika 💜🐼