"Mother, mother. There's too many of you crying," a familiar voice began to sing.

You gasped loudly. Michael snapped his head in your direction, eyes wide with anxiety. He placed his left hand over your mouth before raising his right finger to his lips. You placed your hand over his, muffling your mouth even further.

The music stopped. Michael maintained eye contact with you, staring with his doe brown eyes. You held your breath as you waited for the music to start again.

After a moment of silence, the music began.

"Brother, brother, brother. There's far too many of you dying. You know we've got to find a way to bring some lovin' here today, yeah."

"I love this song," you mouthed to Michael, smiling goofily.

"Me too," he mouthed back, flashing his charming smile.

Marvin Gaye's voice continued to seep through the cracked door. "Father, father. We don't need to escalate. You see, war is not the answer. For only love can conquer hate."

You leaned over to whisper to Michael. "Do you think he heard us?"

Michael shook his head. "I doubt it. You gasped pretty loudly, but I think he figured it was the hail outside."

"It's hailing outside?" You asked, turning to face the window.

Michael was right. As soon as your gaze fell on the open window, you spotted the small chunks of hail that were falling from the sky.

"But this is Los Angeles!" You whispered.

"I know! Weird, huh?" Michael agreed, turning to face the window.

"Super weird. I've never seen hail before," you continued, looking out the window in fascination.

"Never?"

"Never in my life."

The two of you faced each other before falling silent. The music had stopped again. Michael cringed before turning to face the door. You followed his actions.
Once you'd turned around, you were greeted by a tall figure looking down at you with an amused expression. It was Marvin Gaye.

"Hi, Marvin," Michael greeted, avoiding eye contact with him.

"Hi, Mike," Marvin greeted, breaking into a smile, "What's with the long face?"

"Sorry for interrupting your rehearsal," Michael apologized.

Marvin chuckled. "Don't worry about it," he replied, turning his attention to you, "Who's your pal?"

"I-I'm Y/N, sir," you replied, "I really admire your music."

His smile widened. As you looked up at him, you took notice of how tall he was. Compared to the images that you'd seen of him on records, he looked much larger in person. Standing well-over six feet, Marvin was wearing a black suit with a yellow button-up shirt and tie. "Why, thank you, sweetheart. I appreciate that."

"W-We didn't mean to interrupt you. Mike just wanted to show me what the studio was like when artists were making music. He wanted to show me the process, you know?"