35 | Ace of Spades

✦ ✦ ✦

✦ ✦ ✦

MATTHEW KNEW IT WAS KIROVA BEFORE even having to turn around.

It was the butterfly cuff links attached to the sleeve of the hand that fell onto his shoulder. They made his stomach drop.

"Ah, Matthew," inhaled the man deeply. "I was wondering when we'd get a chance to speak once more."

Matthew had been standing near the musicians, an eye on Freya, as he and Juliet had agreed. She was talking to a group of ladies, but her light eyes were sharp and searching for the man who now stood at Matthew's side.

She hadn't yet found them though and he hated himself for being a little grateful.

He didn't want to see it, the look on her face as she noticed them talking. He didn't want to watch the light from her eyes disappear and know it was his fault.

But it would be his fault, wouldn't it?

Matthew roughly shrugged off the man's touch, turning to face him as a hot fury settled low in his gut. "Unfortunately, I can't say the same, Andre," said Matthew, dryly.

Kirova smiled but it didn't meet his eyes. They were dark, dark eyes. "I can't say I'm pleased either," he replied thinly. "You've disappointed me these past months."

Matthew said nothing. Instead, he wondered if he punched Kirova right now, exactly how much attention he would draw.

He wondered if he beat him bloody, how long it would take for someone to pull him away from the businessman.

He wondered who would Freya punch first once she noticed them? Him or Kirova?

"All of this over a girl," hummed Andre, tilting his head. "I can only imagine she's only here with you because she doesn't know the full truth yet. About you and I."

Matthew tensed. The word yet struck his bones harshly.

"There is no you and I," Matthew spat out venomously.

"Is that what you'll say when she finds out?" Kirova's eyes danced. "It's come to my understanding that Freya Arsov is very resourceful indeed, so I have no doubts that she'll find out soon enough."

Matthew was truly surprised she hadn't figured it out already. It was as if the universe was giving him a chance to tell her himself.

Why was he taking so long?

Kirova mused, "I'm surprised Alexei hasn't told her."

The slight grin on the man's lips, a warning sign of the darkness brewing behind his eyes, trained exactly where Matthew didn't want him to be looking. At Freya, in her black dress, head tilted to the side, pale hair falling over a shoulder, as a friendly smile touched her lips.