Fifty

"After tonight, don't leave ya girl around me, true player for real! Ask my nigga for real!" Don was singing an old Usher song and danced in the mirror. I sat on the foot of the bed in view of the bathroom and watched with amusement. It was so strange because previously I had witnessed a fun side to him but it was serious at the same time. Now it was like I had a whole new man in my life. You couldn't pay him to sing and dance in front of the mirror or anywhere. "You don't have to call, it's okay girl! 'Cause ima be alright tonight!" He came out the bathroom moonwalking across the carpet and to his closet.

"Listen Usher." I interrupted his one man band and concert, "We have to go. Now." "Alright man, I have to put my shoes on." He said going into the closet. He came back out with four pair of dress shoes. "Which ones?" He asked. "They all look alike, just put a shoe on. We have little time here, you know how my mom gets when we aren't on time for her functions." I reminded him. "I know. I had to take her out to lunch everyday last week just because she claimed it was my fault that I made you miss church. She ain't even the pastor and she was mad. Where they do that at?" He shook his head.

"Well maybe if you had kept your mouth away from my pus-" "Ah! Don't you dare say what I think you're about to say! If this is about the pussy eating that took place late Saturday night, that must have been so good because you called me 'Daddy' I want you to be quiet. That's not why you didn't make it to church and you aren't going to blame me how your mother is." He said before walking over to me with a red tie in his hand.

I took it and began tying it for him. "I can't believe your ass is pushing thirty and you still can't tie a damn tie." I spoke. "Because you can do it for me." "Who did it before I came along?" I folded the collar of his shirt over the neckline. "Nana had all m7y ties done so that I could slip it over my head and tighten it." He admitted. "That's terrible. Don't tell anyone else that." I shook my head at him. "Let's just go."

We pulled up at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel about forty minutes later. My mom was having a charity ball for a group that she started for domestic and sexual abuse victims both women and men alike. She was the only person in the tri-state area to have such a group that expanded to men being victims so this event was something like a big deal. There were newscasters and radio hosts around doing interviews inside and outside of the ballroom where the ball would take place. I prayed that they didn't come up to me because I hated public speaking no matter the topic and if I would be on television or not.

"Oh look, there's Kyra and Marcus." I took Don by the hand and tried to lead him to our friends. "Wait a second, I want to bid on these Eagles tickets for the upcoming season." He said. "Babe, I'll buy you tickets to their games." I told him. "Uh you sure can, but, they won't be in the damn skybox or the best seats in the house. I can choose where to sit, B. Just let me do this." I nodded and kept quiet as he wrote down the price that he was willing to pay in hopes that nobody would top it. I tried to peek and see what his price was but he stopped me. "Move your nosey self on out the way." The fact that he stopped me was proof that he put some outrageous number on those tickets.

I spotted Kyra and Marcus again except for this time they were joined by Ant. "Hey y'all." I spoke before giving them all hugs and getting a greeting back. "Won't you three go and get us a drink." Kyra suggested to the guys. Both Don and Marcus went on but Ant stuck around. "I don't have a date to get a drink for. I'm solo." He tucked his hands in his pockets and looked at us. "Boy if you don't get out of here and let me talk to Britni." Kyra said giving him a look that made him quickly walk away. I shook my head. "You two are a mess." I laughed.

"Let's go see what we can bid on in here. Your mom invited all these high rollers and I can't afford to try and outdo them." She said as we walked over to a table that had a bath and body kit available with all different scents of lotions, bath salts, shower gels and body sprays. I took the liberty of bidding on the basket before walking around some more. "So did you handle that thing yet?" Ky asked me. "What thing?" I asked confused by her question until it clicked. "Not yet." "Seriously Brit, you need to. It's been over three months." She harshly whispered. "Ky, not now. Get on me about it tomorrow when I see you." I said back before going to find Don and my drink so we could get to our seats for the auction that was about to start. She had officially blew me and I was annoyed.