Until I Met Him

"I shouldn't have married you!"
"Oh really, why don't you divorce me then?"
"I would have divorced you long back, I am still here for my daughter."
"So am I!"

A memory etched in my mind, a glimpse of my parents fight.
What will a 5 year old understand in this whole fight?
They never thought before fighting that how it was going to affect their child's mind.

They kept my name Zoya, means life, loving and affectionate, but there wasn't a bit of liveliness between them.

They said they stayed together for me, but did they really stayed for me?

They were not there when I needed them the most, not when I wanted to share my happiness, my achievements, not when I craved for a family time badly.
Heck! They didn't even attended school annual functions together in my childhood nor they accompanied me on my graduation day. Why? Just to ignore each other.
They became my mother and father but were not able to become my parents.

I still remember the day when my 12th boards results were out and I topped the school. I thought that they would be happy and we will spend some quality time together but what a big fool I was! On returning home, I was greeted with the sight of my beloved parents fighting.

They knew I was not a very chirpy or an outgoing child. I was not able to make friends quickly. I was always a shy child and it took me long to adjust with someone new, hence I never had friends and still they never made a nice environment to live in. Awkward silence, there continuous taunts for each other, sometimes fighting over me, blah, blah. House was always enveloped with a different kind of tension.
Home doesn't felt like home!

But then I got a chance to stay away from them, for my studies. Surprisingly, I was happy not only because I got the college of my choice but also because I would stay away from them, from there mess, from there continuous fights, from that awkward tension and environment of house.

I was clear in my goal when I reached college - to complete my graduation.
After watching my parents relationship, I lost my belief in marriage and love. I knew it was all good in novels, movies and stories. Reality is always bitter and hard to accept than fiction. I believed that no relationship can last with love left between the two, until I met him.

The first day of college, the day I met him for the first time. I was a fresher and as usual, some students misguided me. I was quite frustrated when I collided with him.

"Sorry miss!"
"Doesn't matter" I replied frowning.
"Are you a fresher?"
"Why do you want to know? To misguide me? See I already missed my first class so please pardon me. I am not up for more."
"May I help you?" He said.
"Won't..... Won't you misguide... Me?" I asked, confused on his behaviour.
"Nope. I think its enough for today." He said and I frowned.
"Okay, take my help if you don't want to miss next class." I nodded.
"Aditya. 2nd year." He said, forwarding his hand.
"Zoya" I shook his hand gently.

He was the first and only friend which I made. He was genuine and as a good friend always understood me. We used to hangout together. Sometimes he helped me in my studies too. He changed my perspective in many things. The walls which I had build around my heart started to fall slowly. I knew there is something more but I never acknowledged it, neither I wanted to because I really don't wanted to get hurt.

Time flies quickly.
I was now in my final year, giving my final exams and he was settled in his career. We used to meet on holidays. I knew there were no feelings on my part but still I always looked forward for holidays eagerly. Who was I trying to fool? Myself, but if he was somewhere near I was compelled to listen to my heart.