The Games

I woke up in my cold house. It was in the middle of winter, the coldest time of the year. I sighed, remembering the argument I and my parents got into last night. I tried to bring up to them that I was mentally unstable, which is something they don't believe in. My society is...different from what you think. We are all forced to take these types of pills that prevent us from having "bad thoughts". You are always forced to smile and you are never able to show any "bad" emotion. When the government feels that the population has gotten too large, they select random people to participate in "The Games". The Games are brutal. You are demanded to fight against people from your society to death. The last person standing is seen as "The Chosen". This means that this person earned their place in society as a leader or part of the government. These games happen every five months. Any family that shows sadness or rebellion toward any action taken for the people chosen for the games will get executed immediately. Also, everyone in society has some type of power. My family has a bloodline of very rare shape-shifting magic.

     "Aries! Get down here to take your pills!" yells my mother from downstairs.

     "Coming!" I yell in reply.

     My tail and ears were down. They usually were when I was home. I walked down the freezing stairs, shivering with every step. I sat down on a chair that was near the counter. I saw my mother turn the corner with a sour face. Oh no.

     "Why is the bottle of pills I bought for you two months ago still full?!" exclaimed my mother in anger, "Take your pills, right here, right now! I can't afford you going to The Games just because you didn't decide to be like a normal person!"

     My mother held out her palm, which was holding three pills. I sighed and took them out of her hand. I popped them into my mouth, but I hid them under my tongue and pretended to swallow. My mother opened her mouth and pointed at me. I groaned in annoyance and opened my mouth, showing her that I "swallowed" the pills. She nodded her head in approval.

     "The next time I find out you aren't taking your pills, I am going to keep you from seeing Clover, Iris, and Jonathan." said my mother, turning and walking out the room.

     Clover, Jonathan, and Iris. My best friends have been with me since the day I was born. My mother always found ways to use them against me. My mother is someone I despised very much. I am not like my family. I hate the thought of being controlled. I shook my head, easing the thought out of my head. I walked back upstairs to get ready for school. I put on a black button-up shirt with some black ripped jeans. I slipped on my black combat-looking boots and grabbed my backpack. My school was about two blocks down the street, so I walk from my house to school. I put on my headphones and played "Whatever It Takes" by Imagine Dragons. I soon arrived at the school. I saw Clover, Jonathan, and Iris. I smiled as I saw them. I walked toward them, tapping Iris on the head. She smiled as she turned around.

     "Aries!" yelled Iris, wrapping her arms around me.

    "Well hi." I said, patting her white covered head.

     Clover came over and rubbed my head while Jonathan put his arm around my shoulders and leaned on me. They all got off me after hearing a familiar from behind us. 

     "Wow! Aries is actually alive! Who figured that after not taking her pills she hasn't killed herself yet!" laughed Yino.

     Yino is my old friend from eighth grade. She began to go toxic after her parents were elected for the games. I honestly don't know why she got so different all of a sudden. Her parents were the last ones standing, but they didn't kill each other before the games were over so they both won. They both are part of the council now.