[Special] Encyclopedia

Start from the beginning

Countryside manors do not necessarily abide by the Central Church's interpretation in all aspects, or may have a different cult, sect or belief system altogether. Since religion in Latakia is highly political, manorial Lords may exploit the Holy Scriptures in ways which best serve their personal ideals or interests.

Compared to our real world, in general, manors in Damerel, Easthaven and Aquar tend to be more progressive (due to mild climates and sea trade), while Meriton, Hythe and Icemeet are rather conservative.

Some notable characteristics of conservative manors are strict belief in religion of some kind, high influence of religion on laws and politics, limiting the rights of women or men (i.e. Hyacinth) and discouraging literacy and education for commoners. Progressive manors are generally more lenient when it comes to religion, the sacred and the secular are segregated, and equality, use of machinery and literacy are promoted.

Crosset is moderately conservative, whereas Hadrian is among the most progressive manors in Meriton. As depicted, both men and women of all social standings in Hadrian are encouraged to pursue education. Hadrian men don't mind much whether their wives are still pure or not, whereas in Crosset a woman's chastity is taken very seriously when it comes to marriage (or re-marriage).

Freda and Chione (Free-dah and Kai-oh-nee)

Freda is the Goddess of Creation. She is believed to have given Latakas Wynn, later known as the Founder and First King of Latakia, guidance and assistance to drive the demoness Chione away from Neverend Heights, a mountain range which lies across the west and north of Latakia. To quell Latakia's rebellion, Chione had been drawing fire and brimstone from the depths of the earth, to rain upon Latakia through calamitous volcanic explosions which carve rivers of fire into the land.

Once she had tamed the Heights and allowed Latakia to be rebuilt as an independent state, Freda resides in the caldera on the peak of Neverend Heights. The once lava-filled caldera is now lush and abundant, nourished by a lake with rainbow-colored waters. Thus, rainbows are believed to have been created by rainwater from Freda's caldera lake.

The Latakian Central Church is dedicated to her worship. The High Priest of the Central Church and other high-ranking priests are tasked with receiving Freda's divine guidance through prayers and offerings, and communicating them to the King and the people through the Holy Scriptures.

Chione is the evil sorceress of Nostra who once ruled a fortress on the peak of Neverend Heights. Once favoring fire and brimstone, she is now believed to be the harbinger of winter (to challenge Freda, who embodies spring). Driven deep underground and sealed there by Freda, she channels her powers through her green-eyed minions to sow discord, bring misfortune and create general mischief and strife for Freda's people out of spite. It is believed excessive mining would help Chione tunnel back up to the surface to challenge Freda again.

Fyr (Fee-ur)

Rower of the Raft and Freda's husband. He ferries departed souls on his raft of stone, down the river of fire to the black lake at the center of the Earth to judge them. The souls of those who in life have been faithful to Freda and decent would float, and Fyr would take them to Neverend Heights to join Freda in her caldera, while vile souls would sink to the bowels of the lake from the weight of their sins, and go on to nourish the earth as repayment.

It is believed the waterfalls and rivers of Latakia are created by Freda and Fyr's combined streams of passion. (A/N: You know what I mean.)

Much like people of any culture, Latakians would often swear by Freda, Fyr and Chione. And in the case of Chione, specifically her (sometimes saggy) ninnies (breasts).

People

Latakia is a feudal, hierarchical society.

At the top of the pyramid is the King and his immediate family in the capital of Aynor. The incumbent king and queen in this timeline are Alden and Zephyr Corbyn. Their heir is Prince Halcyon.